Chapter 15

After Laser Tag, we all piled into some empty diner we found, ordering some drinks and dedicating the night to Billie and her new album.

"To Billie," Finneas said as we all copied him, clinking our milkshakes (and vegan milkshakes) together and cheering.

Billie had the biggest smile on her face all night.

There hadn't been a second I'd seen her that she hadn't been laughing, skipping around, or dancing to non-existent music.

She was so excited, and everyone was so proud, and she was so proud. As she should be. She radiated happiness tonight, which wasn't exactly her brand, and I had never felt prouder.

I must have let me thoughts carry me away, as soon enough I was snapped back into reality by Billie calling my name and waving her hands in front of my face.

She laughed slightly before moving to stick her milkshake straw up my nose as I shoved her away, noticing how it was only us two at the table.

"Uh... Where'd everyone go?"

Billie rolled her eyes with a smile tugging at her lips, tutting. "Wow ma, you really were out of it," she replied, winking at me. "Finn and Claudia are still here, they went to the bathroom. Luke and Macy went home, and the twins are outside taking Instagram pictures."

I laughed at her final point before glancing out of the window next to me, seeing Ethan sitting on the hood of Billie's car, posing as the flash went off. Billie's eyes followed mine and widened once they saw what I was looking at, and she darted out of the booth - shoving past Finneas to get to the door of the diner. I watched the black haired girl tackle Ethan and chuckled as I turned my attention to a confused Finneas.

"He's on her car."

He mouthed an 'o' as I giggled, and then sat down opposite me, Claudia sliding into the booth next to me.

"So, you know what's going on tonight?"

I clicked my tongue, scrunching up my nose as Finneas took the hint that I wasn't listening before and laughed before explaining again.

"Well," he started, sliding a hand through his hair as Billie, Ethan and Justin stumbled into the diner. Billie clambered over Claudia and I so she could sit next to me, and Ethan and Justin stayed standing. "We're going back to our place for a couple nights before we leave for tour. Is that okay with you? Since everyone else lives in LA, they're just going to go home and then meet us on Tuesday... Do you want me to book you a hotel?"

I glanced from Finneas to the twins, unsure of what to say. I didn't want to invade their last bit of family life before the biggest tour of Billie's career so far, and I most certainly didn't want to be a bother for her parents.

As if reading my mind, Ethan spoke up.

"She can stay with us, man. We have a spar-"

"Nah," Billie murmured, adjusting the many rings on her fingers nonchalantly. "She can stay with us. Part of the team, now, bro."

Glancing up at me, she smiled warmly before slapping her hands down against her thighs. "So, we leaving or what? It's been a long-ass day today and I miss my bed."

Scrolling through Instagram, I sighed as I glanced at my surroundings.

Red light flooded the room, random Louis Vuitton fabric draped around and shoes lining the floor. The gentle hum of the shower water running could be heard from the bathroom, contrasting with Billie's raspy voice singing some old song.

I was huddled up in her bed sheets with another one of her hoodies wrapped around me, and I took the time to think about everything that's happened.

Billie was straight.

Everyone knew that. She made sure of it.

So, why was she so forward? Is that the reason why? She's so straight she doesn't even realise what she's doing to me?

Exhaling softly, I listened as the water shut off, Billie's singing never ceasing. Muffled noises of clutter falling off of a cabinet echoed through the bedroom, followed by a string of curses.

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips.

The bathroom door then swung open, as Billie wandered out and ruffled her hair with a towel, scrunching up her nose and smiling at me cheekily.

"You look cute," she laughed, throwing the towel over the radiator and fiddling with some things on her desk, her back to me.

I heard her sigh as the sounds of whatever she was doing halted. Her back still facing me, she looked up at the mirror opposite her.

"Hey Rose?" She questioned out into the comfortable silence, looking back down to play with her rings.

I'd began to notice that was somewhat of a nervous habit.

I hummed in response, and she turned to look at me then. Still staying close to the safety of her desk.

Leaning against the painted wood, she took in my appearance as she thought. Her fingers drummed quietly against the surface of the desk, her other hand shoved into her pocket.

"Uh," She stuttered, taking a shaky breath as her left eyebrow twitched a couple times. She moved her wet hair out of her eyes and cleared her throat, moving to sit on the end of the bed by my feet.

I sat up and crossed my legs, playing with the ends of the sleeves of the massive hoodie as she glanced at me and smiled slightly.

"Listen, so, uh... Usually I'm quite good with my words, right? Like, I usually know what I wanna say and have no problem saying it. But, right now... Ion know," she laughed breathily, biting her lip as my heart skipped a beat in anticipation.

I tilted my head to watch her as she exhaled again, looking down. She licked her lips and smiled, groaning and putting her head in her hands.

"Bil, uh... Is it a problem with your ex? I can try and help if you want but my advice isn't always the be-"