Chapter 57

Rose's POV

"Billie?"

My heartbeat was pounding against my skull as I watched her open and close her mouth, somehow stuttering without even speaking.

My eyes slowly drifted down to her hands - her shaking hands hovering in midair, having dropped the ticket but unable to move any further than that. Her eyes glistened with unreleased tears as she blinked once, her lips still parted in something; disbelief? Shock? Regret?

I don't fucking know.

I heard Lyndsey's slow footsteps behind me as she got closer, obviously just as confused as I was, but she hung back a little instead of smothering me, which I was grateful for.

My eyes were still locked onto Billie's, my heart still in my mouth, my breath still hitched in my throat.

"Rose," she breathed, taking a hesitant step forward as her eyes blinked towards the tall girl waiting behind me.

Breaking my eyes away from the pair I never thought I'd see again, I glanced up at Lyndsey as best as I could, considering the world was now a little blurry. She pursed her lips, forcing a little smile, and I noticed the glossy sheen coating her own eyes. As her eyes locked with Billie's, she gave the other girl a single nod. Billie's mouth dropped open again, as she hurriedly nodded back, her eyebrows furrowed. Lyndsey's hand found my own, squeezing it lightly, before she wandered backwards a few steps, turning and trudging down the corridor towards the boarding plane.

"Ladies," the air hostess called out, my attention snapping towards her as Billie's eyes stayed on me. "Will you be boarding with us? All of the other passengers have now entered the plane."

My mouth dropped open again as I tried to speak, and I let my eyes drift back over to Billie. She blinked, a single tear dripping down her cheek, as she shrugged her shoulders exasperatedly.

"Stay," she whispered, her voice breaking.

I took a deep breath before my face crumpled up with tears, my hands quickly coming up to cover it. I knew the green-haired girl took a step closer, but she still wasn't in the corridor.

"We can talk about everything, think about everything, later. But, right now, stay. With me."

Her voice was soft, her footsteps were softer, but soon enough I could smell her shampoo and feel her breath against my forehead and see the tips of her shoes brushing against mine.

She smelled like cherry and vanilla.

Billie sighed, almost silently, and soon her fingertips were brushing along either side of my face, cupping my jaw.

Delicately. Oh, so delicately.

She held me so lightly, as if she was scared any touch too harsh, any movement too quick, would startle me right into the plane at the other end of this corridor.

But I knew it wouldn't.

A tiny whine escaped her throat, and she sniffed slightly, sighing - her hot breath against my skin enough to make my own hitch. She pressed a lingering kiss against my forehead, her hold on my face tightening for a split second, before she moved back slightly. Her lips still brushing against my skin, her fingertips slowly dancing along my jaw.

When Billie was near, she consumed me. I don't know if it was the same for her, but when she was close, she was everything. I inhaled her, I felt her, I was surrounded by her - she took over all of my senses, she intertwined herself in every breath in and swirled herself around every breath out. It's overwhelming. It's so overwhelming, and I doubt she even understood.