Chapter nineteen - Dinner at the Malfoys

~Y/n pov~

You look around your room before walking out taking a deep breath. You wander around and see Lucius staring out of a large window.

"Lucius... Sir is there something wrong?" You ask the Malfoy having a small period of silence before he responds.

"No, nothing for you to worry about Y/n." He tells you.

"You know, the professors at the school, do they seem good enough...?" He asks in a weary tone, although it sounds like his attempt to make small talk.

"Yes, they all seem to do their jobs effectively, though some can be harsh." You say knowing what students think of Snape. You loved him though.

"Mmh." He hums.

"I hope you'll join us for dinner, I'll have Draco show you there, when the time is right." He says without taking his eyes off of the window.

"Anything I should know about this holiday banquet?" You ask the tall man.

"No, simple I'm sure it's not your first ever one." You nodded.

Your parents made you put on this 'perfect pureblood child' act on all the time. To look formally elegant. It wasn't your favourite thing, but who knows, this was made for purebloods; well known or that had huge impacts in the wizarding community. Your family wouldn't be making it... Figures.

You nod and dismiss yourself from the Malfoy's presence.

"Dobby?" You ask looking at the elf in your room.

"Miss L/n." Dobby says sounding somewhat surprised.

"Dobby, a few things. One: you can call me Y/n you know. And two: it's nice to see you again. I only ask what you are doing in here?"

"My master Miss Malfoy asked me to ensure your room was prepared for you, and your clothes prepared for the dance tomorrow." He mutters. You gave him a reassuring look.

"I'm glad to see you but I don't want you to work like that. I'd feel awful. That's why I helped out around my house a lot." You informed him.

"But Dobby must serve." He squeaks nervously.

"Dobby," You say holding the elf lightly by his shoulders.

"You must have something you want; I know you'll be free in due time. You could live with me; I have a freed house elf that still stays with me for some unknown reason." You chuckle at the end of your sentence.

"You have a kind and powerful sense of magic around you." Dobby explains. You let go of the elf and tilt your head.

"Powerful?" You ask looking at the elf.

"Dobby can't explain it, but it reminds him of great old tales." He says thinking out loud.

"Dobby I-" You were about to ask Dobby to further explain but are cut off my knocking on your door.

"Y/n?"  You heard the small blonde Malfoy ask, you turned away from Dobby and go to the knocking on the door.

"Yes Draco?" You ask opening the door just enough to see you.

"Mother wants me to give you a tour of the Manor." You nod and follow the boy.

He showed you the main rooms including the one you'd be using to dance around in. He walked down a hallway saying that the cellar was there and further to say that was where his father had meetings.

You were thinking about school and who Nicholas Flamel really was, in a few days time you'd be back at school and could focus on work. Both school and your little personal interests.

You made it all the way around the manor to the dinning table with loads of food on it.

"Hear we are at the dinning table." Draco says dramatic like. You smile and sit down next to Draco.

"Thank you." The boy blushes and you then notice Narcissa smirking as if putting the both of you together making you blush and uncomfortable.

"So, you two both got into Slytherin?" Narcissa questioned you. You nodded looking at Draco.

"Yes, Mrs Mal-" You start.

"Narcissa is just fine dear." She corrects you.

"Yes, Narcissa. It's a beautiful house to be apart of, though quite competitive house. Draco himself is competitive, he's doing very well in all classes." You tell the Malfoys. Draco gives you a look of gratitude for saying he was doing well. Though it was true it seems more honorable now.

"Second in every class except one. Potions, I'm third behind you and the mudblood Hermione granger." Draco snarls. Hermione being a friend of yours you want to speak out but know you have to hold your tongue.

"Ah, I've heard of that girl. She's clever, but that'll be her downfall." Lucius comments sipping some tea.

"Anyway, good to hear you're showing some muggle born scum who's boss. But you'll have to be better than this Hermione." Lucius states not taking a deep interest into his sons marks.

After some stunning food and more uncomfortable conversation you all go to leave. Narcissa is the only one that stops you. You two are alone as Draco is off to his room and Lucius is who knows where.

"You know, we're happy that Draco has a friend like you." You give her a confused look.

"I care about my son, over everything. I think my husband is blind to the century we're living in." Narcissa explains lightly not fully saying something, more just hinting at blood status.

"You don't agree with his muggle born, half blood views?" You ponder to her. She gives you a nervous look.

"There are times I think he goes far, based on your silence, you have seen that in both Draco and Lucius." She neither said yes or no. But at least you both have a sort of understanding of blood status.

"Draco is a good boy; I think someone like you will bring out the best in him." Narcissa tells you.

You both agree not to dwell on that conversation.

You head off to bed only stopping because you hear sniffling. You follow the sniffling to Draco's bed room. You open it and see Draco annoyed with a few tears running down his face.

You close the door behind you, he only notices you then. You sit beside him and let the boy cry without having to explain.

He finishes up and smiles at you kindly.

"Thank you, Y/n." Draco had genuine gratitude in his voice.

"Draco, I know it's not the astronomy tower but do you want to stand in the gardens?" You ask him knowing where they are from the way in.

"These are still beautiful in the winter." You say sitting on the water fountain beside him.

"Yeah, it is." Draco observes dipping his hand on the water that hadn't frozen yet and turned it to snow in his hands blowing it from his hands. You found it beautiful and gentle as it fell to the ground.

"Y/n I uh... don't want to-" You cut him off.

"You don't have to tell me about it if it bothers you. Maybe there'll be a time you can, but it doesn't have to be today." You tell him putting your hand over his reassuring him.

"Thank you." He says feeling the cold air enter his lungs. You both enjoy the kind and comfortable silence of the outdoors. You sit out there for another ten minutes until the sun starts to set.

"Big banquet tomorrow. We best get some rest." Draco Nodded along to your words.

You both walk across the halls to your respective rooms. You lay down in your bed finding a note that read; Dobby had to leave for Master.

You smile and change into your pajamas before getting comfy in the big guest bedroom. Tomorrow you'll have to keep up appearances. You let out a breath you had held and look at the celling. You feel a sense of calm come over you. What is up with you Draco Malfoy? You ask yourself before you drift off into darkness. Once again calmed by Draco.