9

"I swear, if that kid ruins one more jacket-" Raphael mutters as I ran over to him, Jace right behind me.

"Where is he?" I immediately question, breathing heavy, "Where's Simon?"

"He'll be back." Raphael dusts off his jacket.

"You just let him go?" Jace came to a stop next to me, "You said you'd look after him."

"I can't do that until he's ready." Raphael told us.

I breathe, "What does that mean?"

"It means he's where everybody goes when this happens." He looks at me, "His own personal hell."

"No-" I look away, "I did this. I put him there-"

"Hey-" Jace wraps an arm around me and pulls me into his chest.

"If it helps, he doesn't even remember it was you." Raphael adds in, "Those first minutes a complete blank."

"Are you kidding?" I looked at him, "I have to go through him hating me for my choice again?"

"Once you rein him in, he'll be walking, talking proof to the Clave that Camille broke the Accords." Raphael said, "In fact, as a new leader"

"I don't care about your vampire politics!" I set my hand forward, "We have to find Simon."

Jace nods towards me, "We will."

"He's out there, he's alone." I slip away from Jace, pacing, "He's scared- he's hungry. Who knows what could happen-"

"Give me a call when he turns up. He'll need my help." Raphael told us, then rushes off.

"I think we've had just about enough of your help." Jace mutters, then grabs his phone.

I stop and look at him, "What are you doing?"

"Getting reinforcements." Jace calls Alec, speaking the minute the phone is answered, "Alec, I need you."

"It's Izzy. We need you." Jace heard from the other line, bringing his phone between us, putting it on speaker, "There's been an attack at the Institute."

I repeat, "An attack?"

"Valentine created a Forsaken that went through the wards." She told us, Jace shooting me a look.

"That's not possible, Izzy." Jace denies, "Nothing can get through the wards. They're warlock spells to defend against all Downworlders."

"Not this one. It had Seelie blood with angel properties." Isabelle told us, "It went after Hodge and Alec."

"What?" I blurt out, "Are they okay? Is Alec-"

"They're banged up, but they'll live." Isabelle told me, "Hodge killed it. It was after the Cup."

"Izzy, we'll be there as soon as we can." Jace hung up and starts running, stepping onto the sidewalk.

"Jace- wait-" I chase after him, as he came to a stop at my voice, slowing down, "We need to talk-"

"Valentine attacked my home." Jace shook his head, starting to walk again, "Alec's injured. We've got to go."

"I know- and we will." I grab his arm to stop him from walking, "Believe me, there's nothing more I want then to see it Alec's okay."

Jace sighs through his nose and looks at me, "After we go check up on Alec- I'm going after Simon."

"No-" Jace instantly shook his head, "It's not safe out here, Zee."

"I'll be fine." I try to assure him, "And I'm gonna make sure Clary stays at the Institute-"

"What so she can be protected and not you?" Jace fought back, "Zee, let's not forget she's not the one being hunted right now."