44

[ jace's pov ]

"Drop the spear!" I shouted at the prisoner I had followed into the sewers, leaving Isabelle, Alec and Clary behind, water dripping everywhere and soaking my boots, "Drop the spear or take your chances, your choice."

He turned and moved into a offensive position, holding his spear tight, ready to fight.

"Oh, I was hoping you'd do that." I remarked, my hands flipping the axes in my hands, them coming in contact with his spear.

The metal of his spear repeatedly hit the axes in my hands, grunts and growls leaving both of our lips as we fought.

Within moments, he had knocked me onto my knees, my axes distant from me.

I pull out my seraph blade, clenching my jaw, standing up, swinging my sword towards him, his spear blocking it.

But no matter how much I fought, he had me on the ground once more, weaponless.

I groaned in pain, pushing myself up.

I wasn't as focused on this mission as I should've been.

I had too much on my mind.

I had Zee on my mind.

How she was dead.

Because of me.

I faced him, breathing heavily.

I let out a scream, running towards him with no defense, his spear piercing into me, a sharp pain erupting within me.

"Jace!" I heard Clary's shout with many following footsteps, Alec's arrow flying past me and landing in the prisoner, as Clary and Isabelle pulled me off the spear.

I fell to the ground, holding my wound, Isabelle clasping cuffs onto the defeated prisoner, "By the authority of the Clave, you are under arrest."

"You could have gotten yourself killed!" Alec ran over my Iratze, pulling me up in disapproval.

"Hey, hey!" I pointed, breathing heavily, the weight on my shoulders unbearable, "He is my responsibility, this is all my responsibility!"

Clary looks at me, "What were you thinking?-"

They were all staring at me when I didn't reply.

"If it wasn't for me, Zee would still be alive." My voice broke at the mention of her name, tears burning in my eyes, "If I was strong enough to fight through Lilith's control all the times she tried to get through to me- I could've saved her."

This made everyone go silent.

-

I stood in front of Zee's bedroom door.

My hand gently touched the nob, opening the door quietly, letting it widen on it's own, my eyes falling onto the blank canvas, memories flashing in my mind.

The night of our first, real date.

She was painting one of her sketches right there that day. The paint was splattered all over her body, she looked so peaceful and happy dancing around her room.

My hand reached and touched my cheek, where she had painted the small red heart that day, making my heart ache and my eyes to well up.

I walked into the room and closed the door behind me, walking over to the set of paints she had on her desk.

I reached for the exact paint brush she used, grabbing the red paint and opening it, dipping the brush lightly, wiping off the excess.

I walked over to her full body mirror, drawing a look alike heart on my cheek where she had that day, the tears falling from my eyes smearing it within seconds.