22

Simon hovered over me, shirtless as we walked on a few blankets in the kayak.

His lips connected with mine once again, and a comforting feeling pouring with me, but it wasn't like what I felt with anyone I'd ever been in a relationship with.

It felt weird, as if I didn't feel anything.

I wanted to feel something.

A shriek leaves my lips when the kayak tips lightly, pulling away from Simon, my head hitting the wood, the kayak still.

"Ow!" I blurt out, holding my head, the both of us looking at each other for a second, then, Simon and I blurt into a fit of giggles.

Simon tips the kayak again just to scare me, "Well, I mean I'm pretty sure this thing is untippable."

"Oh, yeah?" I sat up, "Well, we'll just have to see about that."

Simon's eyebrows furrow, "Wait, what does that mean-"

I began rocking the kayak back and forth, Simon's eyes going wide, as he grabbed me, stopping me from doing so, connecting our lips again.

This felt still weird.

I thought I could get used to the idea of being with Simon, but it hadn't happen yet.

An air horn sounds loudly, making me jump away from Simon and also fall out of the kayak, Simon staring at what was behind me with sight wide eyes.

My head turns, my eyes falling onto Jace, whom was grinning that he disturbed whatever was going on.

"Hey-" I had forgotten all about what was just happening and hopped out of the kayak, landing on my feet despite it being on the top.

Simon followed, landing next to me, as I grabbed my jacket, putting it over my thin burgundy shirt.

"What the hell are you doing?- you know what? Don't answer that." Jace grabbed one of Simon's shirts and tossed it to him, "Here you go."

"Jace, it's okay- I'm fine." I put my hands in my pockets, "I'm safe here."

Jace stares at me, "Until Valentine stops hunting you, the only place you're safe is the Institute."

"Really? I'm not sure you actually know how hiding works." Simon spoke up, "The whole point is to, um, not be where everyone thinks you are. Trust me, I'm kind of an expert."

"For an expert, you were pretty easy to find." Jace remarks; then nodded towards me, "Just be thankful I got to you before the Circle did."

"I'm not afraid of them." Simon glances at me and confidently said, "I've been working on my fighting skills."

"Are you trying to impress her?" Jace's lips pursed in humor, "At least she knows I can take them."

I huff, "Jace, really?"

Simon clears his throat, "Nope- I've actually been working on my fighting skills."

"Oh, really?" Jace broke out into a chuckle, "You wanna take this outside and give these fight skills a test run?"

I roll my eyes, "Guys-"

"Anytime." Simon was already making his way for the door, then stopped, facing Jace, "As soon as the sun goes down."

I softly laugh at them, "You guys are ridiculous-"

My sentence cut off when I felt a scolding burning on my hand, making my eyes snap wide, a gasp leaving my lips as I pulled out my left hand out of my pocket.