42

"Every month, the Gard holds a culling of its death row inmates." Consul Penhallow's voice was clear as I was walked into the cage in the courtyard where they held all their prisoners before executing them.

I was scrubbed clean and in an orange jumpsuit, bare skin, my hair in a tight braid, strong hand cuffs on my wrists.

Consul Penhallow continued, "Today, you all have been chosen."

"Charles Freeman." Consul Penhallow called for the man, "Ascend."

The man who was Charles Freeman stepped onto the higher platform, looking at her.

"You are guilty of colluding against the Clave with former Consul Malachi Dieudonne, and of killing 12 Clave soldiers." Consul Penhallow read out, "Do you have any last words?"

"Long live the Circle." said Charles, as many prisoners behind me shouted in alliance.

Consul Penhallow grimaced, "Turn and meet your fate."

Charles turned his back to them.

Consul Penhallow exhales when the Silent Brother next to her waves his staff towards him, activating the rune he stood on, "May the Angel have mercy."

Then, all you could hear were the many's fading and echoing screaming as he erupted in flames.

-

"Trevor Hayes." Consul Penhallow called forth, "You are guilty of violent assault on 13 mundanes."

"Zee?" There was a whisper, "Is that you?"

Then Iris Rouse was next to me, a scoff leaving my lips as I looked away from her.

"Relax." Iris chuckled, "The cuffs suppress warlock abilities- I couldn't hurt you if I wanted to, not that I would."

"I heard what you did, stopping Valentine's wish." Iris said when I remained silent, "You don't deserve this."

I wanted to look at her but my eyes were glued to the screaming man burning alive.

"No matter how much bad these people have done- not even they deserve this." I stared in fright, "This is barbaric."

"Even the barbarians weren't this cruel." Iris scoffs, "After everything I've done, this is how it ends burned at the stake for not doing magic."

I looked at her, "What are you talking about?"

Iris looked down at me, "The Consul moved up my execution because I refused to perform a spell for her."

"The Clave hires warlocks all the time." I scoff deeply, "Why ask you?"

"Because necromancy is my specialty." Iris told me, "But- even I know no good would come from resurrecting Valentine Morgenstern."

"Jia asked you to resurrect Valentine?" My eyes widen, "Why would she want that?"

Iris inhales deeply at my question, "She wanted to question him about a demon."

I looked down, "Lilith- she tried to dig him up."

"But, I said I don't care if Lilith is the devil incarnate, anyone is better than that Circle bastard." Iris seethed through her teeth, "He took my Madzie away from me, let him rot."

-

"Zee Young." Consul Penhallow called forth as I stood on the lower level, held by two guards, "Ascend."

I inhaled shakily and walked up the steps, standing where I was supposed to be standing, staring right at her.

"You are guilty of using the Angel Raziel's one wish for personal gain and of knowingly deceiving the Clave on the matter." Consul Penhallow didn't even need to look at her scroll, "Do you have any last words?"