16. I shall be safe! ✔

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. "

-Helen Keller

_______

Indrayan's pov:

We had the plan etched out but the question is, Is it that easy to be executed?
Sampurnaa may have people all around her but she had just herself inside the brothel to protect herself and her identity from while spying. It's not that I do not trust her abilities, it is simply that I cannot rely on external security for a woman's safety inside such a place.

Sampurnaa was sitting silent and still in one corner of the room.

I cleared my throat to get her attention. She looked at me questioningly. One could easily identify the fatigue in her eyes. They were dropping but I couldn't let her go to sleep at least not now.

I had to talk some serious business with her, "Shall we discuss the court proceedings and evidence we might find? We also have to discuss the questions that you may be asked at the court as a key witness. And as per Sridha is concerned, I shall ensure that she is well intimated about the court protocol and the answers that she has to give. As you requested, the trial is going to be a private one. The police have already noted down the details of the suspects and the accused from Sridha. The men who have forced themselves on her were local thugs, bachelors, divorcees with sufficient income. However, there is news I forgot to let you on. Apparently, the man Sridha ended up killing in defense, well, he was the son of the human resource development minister. His death was not reported because he was an illegitimate child and there are a lot of twists in the tale. From what the police have gathered from local informers, the minister was planning to wait till the election results i.e., tomorrow before he announced this news."

"I am already a bit aware of the questions that I may be asked at the court. Moreover, I don't need to be briefed because I am anyways going to speak out the truth. As per Sridha is concerned, her family and I, believe her case is in the best hands possible. So there's no doubt that you shall be excellent as the prosecutor yet again.
What kindles my curiosity though, is one simple question, 'why is the minister waiting for the election results to be declared?'The polls have been closed long ago and the votes have been cast as well. He couldn't possibly gain anything out of hiding all this. As per the legitimacy of the child is concerned, the minister is a widower, he doesn't have to worry about his image, wife, or family. "

I had expected her to be this well informed but she failed to analyze this from another point of view of political gain. I decided to enlighten her, "The minister has worked relentlessly for the past few weeks. He wants to show the world how dedicated he is to have ignored his own pain and concentrated on people's welfare instead. He wants to win the prime minister's favor and the people's confidence so he gets a better post as the new union minister. Even if his party fails to come to power, his loss will be mourned by the nation and his rapist son's name shall be hailed. Irrespective of where his son had been found dead, people would simply blame the opposition of a planned murder. This is politics! A father is definitely going to use his son's death to his own favor."

Her reaction screamed disbelief. Beneath the facade of a strong, fearless, and daring reporter, dwelled a sensitive woman who valued love and relationships.
Her eyes had moistened when I mentioned her parents' worried state. She was definitely not someone who could relate to this ruthless materialistic world.

She opened her mouth to say something but stopped midway. I gestured for her to continue and then it all came out in one breath, "The human resource development minister's son, the CEO of an MNC, kidnapped college girls, sold women, cheated wives, teenagers who are older than their age physically... What more has this place got?
A father who wants to use his son's untimely demise to his advantage. He doesn't even care about the fact that his son was a criminal! That a young girl was raped! Do such people run our nation? They are our representatives?! And we actually go and vote for them?! "