52. Wedding III

The bride after Sindoor daan, with the lojja bostro covering her head👆

"A woman is always the one who is expected to leave her home after marriage; because she is strong enough. She is strong enough to leave her family behind and compassionate enough to accept another as her own. A woman is the one who does all the sacrifices; because they have the strength... To live, to survive, to fight and to shine... Irrespective of the challenges thrown her way.".

-Elegiac_Damsel
___________
28th November
Sampurnaa's pov:

I was so nervous! When I opened my eyes, I felt shy and refused to look at Indrayan. After a lot of teasing and pursuading, I finally gave in. The rest of the rituals just went by somehow.

My anxiety started building up further the moment Baba gave my hand in his. A sudden wave of nervousness went in and I shivered. Saptapadi was a pain in the literal sense! My legs were turning into jelly with each step that I had to take. Marriage had seemed to be a piece of cake when I attended others' weddings... But now that I was in the bride's shoes, I realised how revolting the idea of fun and excitement is at your own wedding! My stomach was churning and I was feeling really uneasy while repeating the promises after the priest, during Saptapadi.
The promises are so orthodox and sexist! The only promise that I made silently was, "I promise to try and be the best version of myself for you. I don't know what the future holds for us, but I promise I'll strive to brave all the storms together alongside you. I can't promise to be the best wife... Or the perfect one; but I promise I'll give my all into this relationship. I won't give up easily."

The Anjali perked up my anxiety when he came in contact with my hands from behind. I almost had a panic attack then and there! Due to some reason unknown to me, his touch brought back the memories of the men grabbing me against my will from behind even after I screamed 'no'.
I shook my head when we sat down for the sindoordaan. Priyanka sensed something was wrong and came to speak to me. I was unable to say much to her.
I heard him clearing his throat and I looked up at him.
Indrayan's actions and gestures told me that he was asking me if something was wrong. I shook my head in no and asked him to go ahead... But he did not.

Adrija Boudi bent down to my level and spoke to me. She spoke to me soothingly and I listened. Baba came next.

He asked me if things were alright and I said, 'yes'. He finally asked me if they could go ahead and I gave the green signal.

Indrayan took the coin and the vermilion and brought it near my parting. He looked into my eyes one last time, asking me silently for my consent.
I blinked reassuringly and he applied sindoor on my parting. I closed my eyes as the vermilion fell on my nose and as Boudi covered my head with the lojja bostro.

I was finally a married woman who now had the love, care and responsibility of two households.

...

We were asked to take everyone's blessings after the rituals were over.
We went and touched Dida's feet first. She pulled us into a hug and blessed us with happiness. Baba, Dad( I guess I am finally his daughter in-law now), Mama, Mami, Maa( my mother), Dada and Boudi blessed us too.

The neighbourhood aunties saw the vermilion on my nose and began teasing me. Apparently, that means that my husband would love me more!

I rolled my eyes but nevertheless smiled at them. Sridha and Priyanka hugged me and then finally the two of us were given food to eat!

It was already 11 p.m., so no one tried to tease us in any way owing to fatigue.
...

It was 12 a.m. when Indrayan and I were led into my room for the bashor night. His cousins, Sridha, Priyanka and two of my school friends were going to be in the room with us.