51. Wedding II

Sampurnaa's wedding saree and look.

Pic credits: instagram

"A happy marriage is about three things; memories of togetherness, forgiveness of mistakes and a promise to never give up on one another."

-Surabhi Surendra
_________
28th November
Sampurnaa's pov:

Priyanka and Sridha did my make up with Maa's help. She was trying to apply foundation on my face but I refused.

"I have to sit in front of a pyre! What the hell will I do with the foundation and concealer? I will sweat there and then end up looking like a ghost. Please don't apply any make up. Just the eyes and the sandalwood paste please." I requested her

Priyanka looked at Maa for help. She thought for a moment and then took my side. I smiled gratefully and she applied eyeliner and handed me the kohl stick.
Once I was done with the eyeliner and kohl, she handed me the lipstick. I grimaced but one stern glare from Maa made me oblige.

After that, Sridha asked me to sit down. She took a bindi and put it on my forehead. She took a bowl of sandalwood paste and with the help of a thin paintbrush, made an intricate design on my forehead. Priyanka came ahead with kumkum and elaborated the design further.

Appearance:

My hair was braided and then decorated with a string of jui flowers

Once my face was ready, it was already 7.30 p.m.
Maa went off to check things after appreciating my look. Priyanka and Sridha got ready while I was waiting for them.
They helped me drape the saree when they got back. The saree is literally so beautiful!
The jewellery was put on me one by one, followed by the veil. Finally I could be called a kone i.e., a Bengali bride.
...

It is 8 p.m. now and from how things sound, I am guessing that the bridegroom and the borjatri(the groom's side comprising of friends, family and relatives) just arrived.
Sridha and Priyanka were sitting with me but they ran away the moment it became clear that the bridegroom had arrived. I was left alone in the room. I could hear the conch and the women ululating.
My pulse quickened at each passing second as reality hit me hard.

I was in deep thought for a long time... Pondering over every moment that I had spent as an unmarried girl at my parents' place. I reminisced moments with Dada and everything that I would miss in the future. It was 8.30 p.m. when Indrayan's father, maternal uncle, aunt and Dida entered my room with Dada, Adrija Boudi Priyanka and Sridha.

Dida came and sat next to me and asked me to look up at her completely. I lifted my eyes hesitantly and she kissed my forehead gently.
"Beautiful! You look beautiful! The prettiest bride that my grandson could have got."

For some reason, the confidence that I generally carry about myself has gone on a vacation. I blushed!
Honestly, I have been behaving like a typical Indian, shy bride for the past two days... That is completely ironical to my nature! I thanked her for her compliment softly and she blessed me.
The other elders blessed me with a happy married life ahead and then I was fed a sweet by Dida.
Finally, I had something to eat since morning!