21. Evidences

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. "
-Martin Luther King Jr

Sampurnaa's pov :

I was back at home now.
I had been forced to take a leave today and I was really restless and bored. It was Friday. The first hearing was on the very next day.
Sigh!
Two days of excitement, a few hours of physical pain and now I had 4 people literally waiting on me.

No matter how much I asked them to allow me to go out for work or at least for a drive, they refused.

Dada offered to drive me out wherever I wanted to go. I excitedly asked him to drive me to Mr. Chakraborty's office on Bandra Linking Road but he did not budge. I begged him and finally we struck a deal...  I would not overexert myself and that I would allow Dada to be with me at all times.
I immediately agreed.
Anything to get out of home!
Boudi wanted to accompany us but she was going to visit the doctor with her mother to the doctor as she had been unwell. I wanted Dada to be with Boudi but she wouldn't hear any of it.

Dada and I set off with him driving and me fiddling with the radio channels.

It was raining.
I pulled down the windows of the car thus allowing the rain to seep in and wet my clothes. I felt like an excited child all over again each time my a raindrop fell on my face.

Dada started scolding me. He was angry that I had opened the windows and allowed the seats to get wet but I steadfastly ignored him.

He groaned, "You are behaving like a stubborn kid! Look at yourself! Ignoring me like you ignored Maa when she asked you to shut the windows during the monsoon. You were a kid then but you are a grown up now!"

I grinned mischievously and then replied wittily, "I remember a boy, 5 years older to me who would return home drenched in the rain and then have his ears twisted by Baba! I remember him joining me in the balcony or the terrace whenever it rained. And now that man is sitting next to me and behaving like a cranky grandfather."
He glared at me in return and I smiled an infuriatingly sweet smile.

Squabbling and quarrelling, cherishing and reliving our childhood memories, we drove for 1.5 hours before we reached Linking Road.

I jumped out of the car like an overexcited child at the fair and almost ran to the elevators of the building. Dada followed behind after parking the car, shaking his head at my conduct.

We reached Indrayan's office. I went up to the same secretary who had irritated me to no extent the last time I had come and demanded to meet Indrayan.
She was smart enough to simply allow me through this time.
I went up to his door and knocked.

I heard a 'Come In' and opened the door. Dada followed me in. He had no idea why I had demanded to come anyways so he was a mere spectator to everything happening.

...............................

Indrayan's pov :

After Sampurnaa's discharge earlier in the morning, I had visited her office where the other reporters and her teammates had handed me copies of the pictures and shots taken on her camera and also bits and pieces of the recording that would be relevant to the case.
I went to my office directly after collecting the evidence. The police had also given me a copy of Zeenat's post mortem report.

I had immersed myself into studying the case files right after lunch and had barely noticed that it was evening.
A knock disturbed me. I gave my consent for the person to come in.

It was Sampurnaa and Abhi!

God! What did this woman want now? Had she not been asked to rest?