Nineteen

A scream echoed through the halls of the school, making everyone stop in their tracks. Not even the teacher broke our classes silence, until someone finally got up and opened the door. They gasped, making my curious classmates rush to her side.

I hesitated before getting out of my seat as well, following them to the hallway, where I saw it.

The girl I had talked to right before this class, the nice one, who I knew I could trust, was laying in a puddle of blood in the middle of the halls.

It wasn't long until I saw it.

Her blood writing a simple sentence in the wall.

'this is what happens when you ignore me.'

Spencer had disappeared into the croud of students flooding the halls, until the principal finally announced over the intercom that school is being let out for the day while the police investigate.

The thought of police made me question the system again. How many of them were corrupt as well?

The urge to tell Jax everything that has been happening to me was overwhelming. But I knew that if I did, it would only lead to more people getting hurt. Who would Spencer go after next? Deep down, my biggest fear was something happening to little Charlie.

As I finally focused on the scene in front of me again, I noticed students crying. I guess Gwen did have some friends who cared for her after-all.

I tried to make my way through the crowd, getting claustrophobic, as I knew this was my fault. This sweet girl, was dead because of me. The message, written in her blood, was a warning for me. A warning that if I didn't listen, everyone around me would continue to die.

I was snapped out of my trance, once again, as someone had pulled me into a janitors closet, and locked the door.

"Spencer," I whispered with fear.

"You see now what I can do? I didn't want to hurt Gwen, but you gave me no choice?" He stated, feigning innocence.

"You always have a choice, you don't have to be this person, you don't have to be a rebel! The system is good, Spencer, why can't you accept that? Why are you out, looking for trouble? Trying to start some kind of Riot?" I demand answers, pushing him against the racks of cleaning supplies.

"Keep your voice down, Hazel, before someone gets hurt,"

"How do you know that name?" I question him, stepping back.

"I know everything about you, I figure I needed to know about your family, if I want to really get to you," he smirked.

I saw his brow switch as his eyes flared into mine.

"So, now that I have your attention, what have you found out so far?"

"Nothing," I mumble quietly, "I didn't want Jaxon suspicious of me snooping around right after I went missing, he isn't stupid,"

"Get me what I want," Spencer whispered in my ear once last time before leaving the closet.

Then, the only solution hit me. In order to ensure that everyone I loved was okay, I had to make sure Spencer didn't have anyone to use them against. I was the one who needed to be gone.