Kyoya's Redemption

"Avoid Kyoya all day." I said, "It'll be easy." I said.

As I walked toward the school, I realized that would be easier said than done. I mean, we're in the same class after all. Not much I could do about that.

I spotted Mori and Hani and waved him down on my way to the school building.

"Morning," Mori said, slowing to match my pace.

"Hey, Mori-senpai."

"Hey, Kira-chan!" Hani-senpai ran up to my other side.

"Hi, Hani-senpai." I smiled slightly.

They continued to match my pace as we headed toward our respective classes. It was a comfortable silence, and I was glad for the presence of two friends who knew better than to bring up a certain raven-haired boy, at least so I thought. I made my way to my class, stopping to say bye just at the door.

Hani-senpai paused to look me in the eye, as Mori-senpai slowly started to make his way onward toward his class. He gained a serious look in his eye that I hadn't ever seen before.

"Listen Kira-chan, I know something is up between you and Kyo-chan. I really think you should hear him out, 'kay?" Hani said turning away and running to catch up with Mori, who was already headed to their third year class.

With his words still hanging in the air, I stalked into the classroom, stiffly trying to avoid Tamaki and Kyoya's gaze as I sat down.

KYOYA POV FLASHBACK:

I stood frozen in the hallway, her words from seconds ago still ringing in my mind.

"Don't talk to me...You pretty much dug your own grave."

I briefly became aware of my stammering heartbeat, and the soft ache that was forming because of it when I heard another voice behind me.

"Kyoya. I want to speak with you." Tamaki's voice sounded from behind my back.

I turned around to face him, but I couldn't bring myself to speak. My mind was still somewhere else, replaying the hurt in her voice over and over again.

"What were you thinking?" He spoke again, his demeanor calm as he awaited my response.

"I-" I started, my voice failing.

Clearing my throat, I began again, "I wanted to play the bad guy. I simply wished for Haruhi to understand why you were all so worried about her, so I tried to make a point. I thought it was a smart idea. However, you should know that I would have never actually done anything to her or anyone, for that matter. I am not that type of person.

You know I hold myself to a high standard because of my father, but I also have strong moral values for myself: ones that would prevent me from doing such things. Haruhi knows this, I wish for you to know this too, Tamaki. Please..." I paused, the last word coming out as barely a hushed whisper.

"Look Kyoya, I understand why you did what you did," Tamaki reasoned, "but I believe you also know that it was an incredibly stupid thing to do."

"I know it all too well." I acknowledged him, my head turning off toward the direction that Akira had disappeared in.

KYOYA POV PRESENT:

"Have you talked to her?" Tamaki whispered to me as we noticed Akira walking in the classroom.

Noting her distinct decision to avoid our gaze and sit in her seat, effectively ignoring us, I whispered back, "It's easier said than done, Tamaki. She won't even look at me, let alone, listen to what I have to say."