Chapter 18

The spell doesn't reveal its secrets to us, the description was scrawled by a mad man and it isn't as if these things come with an instruction manual. Only the spell itself can be read clearly and it isn't much help into figuring out what is going on with my warlord. 

It would be more helpful if he was at all interested in learning about the book but even revealing it still freaks him out in a way that bothers me to my core. Fear is not something he wears well and I can tell by the way his entire being changes, he's terrified of what this book is capable of. I release him from his torture and put the book away, safely in its place while he paces the hallway with tense energy. 

I'm surprised by the fact that he wants food as eating was always a chore to get him to partake in. 

I'm able to enjoy a normal lunch with him, he pointedly tells me that he enjoys black coffee when it comes from elves but in his home in Spain, he drank mostly tea. Coffee was a luxury his foster family couldn't afford, they were able to make do with various garden herbs to create tea. 

Our lives were so different. My mother used to make me warm ciders or fresh milk, we hadn't wanted too much given that many people paid their taxes in goods rather than monetary means. When it had come time to pay for their slaves, we'd been granted a large sum that had spiked my family well over most in any of the surrounding countries. 

 I wrinkle my nose at the strong smell that seems like liquid gold to him. "When I was brought to the elven kingdom, coffee helped get through the days." He yawns, "Funny to think it's a slave drink here.." His gaze tilts towards the kitchen staff, perhaps we weren't the united front that I'd hoped we were. 

I'm still getting used to civilian Randy, so often I've pictured it and wonder what he would have looked like. The only clothes that fit any of the lycans in this entire place belong to their human companions who stay on occasion so I'm truly getting the full view. 

With his shirt and vest, I really can't find much to complain about. Except, he isn't totally my Alpha. I can't help but miss the wolf side of him though I suppose that's horrendously selfish considering he does seem much happier this way. He notices me staring at him and I realize he's staring back. Before I can get a scolding, Tomas sits at our table rather loudly. 

"You're time, good sir." He says to Verando with a wicked grin. 

I hold my commentary to myself as I frown, have I ever gotten to really sit down and have lunch with this man without a horde of advisors sitting around him? In Dezna, it seemed as though he lived in a sea of information. Giving Tomas a look that I wish held some sort of merit, I accept that the barbarian knows no king.

 Tomas is not afraid of me, or anyone it would seem. He pokes fun at a creature who I wouldn't tangle with on my best day and yet, Verando takes in the commentary like a schoolboy with his friends. 

"Penelope reject you outright then?" My relaxed leader is in no hurry to oblige the fiery redhead. 

"Nah. Just a later time." Tomas winks. 

"Mhm, got a look at it, huh? That's alright then, you still have ol' lefty." He takes a drink, leaning back in his chair while sporting an almost convincing look of innocence.  

Tomas scoffs, "You cheeky bastard. If she got a look, I weren't be here with you that's for sure." 

Verando muses, tounging his cheek. "Perhaps it was the smell then." 

"Ladies, please," I demand. "She'd burn you both at the stake if she heard the way you're talking about her. What is it Tomas?" I demand, locking my eyes on the offensive Irish man who's still sneering at my unshamed warlord.