Chapter 30

I don't want to be here. It's the same song and dance, at every opportunity he seems to be fading off into the distance and his attention belongs to someone else. Marcus stands beside me as we watch them dance and I don't even know if I wish it was me at this point. I glance at my friend, the smug Spaniard.

 "You did that on purpose." I accuse him. 

He shrugs. "I helped. I won't lie."

"He's your brother."

He looks at me, his eyes intense. "I'm only a man. This comes easily to me and he struggles with his nature. I suppose I'm just helping along the process." 

I part my lips to speak but honestly, I'm done with men today and Penelope can be lumped in with them too. I depart, throwing myself into what I was bred to do and that's become a diplomat. Eventually, I make my way to Haryek and it pleases me to see he's absolutely glowing.

"Nicolas, this is going fantastic." He whispers to me after introducing me to his friends. "I always  knew this role would suit you and look, you're incredible." He tips his glass to me and I offer him a small smile. At least someone sees me, even if it's only for his benefit.

 I actively avoid my warlord, I can sense him following me from a distance, and every time he gets close I drift away again. I'm completely sober and for the first time, I'm not running to hide my pain. This is a place where I'm actually thriving, where I have the answers and worth.

 People look at me with admiration and respect, I'm no longer my father's lesser son. While it's not lost on me that I'm the only son left to compare to. I'm the last of my family, a rarity of a bloodline, and an heir to a kingdom with no family. Surely, all suspected I was here looking for a potential mate. Little did they know what I truly fancied. 

I was now a decorated war hero, I was worth talking to, never mind rumors of my hidden preference. 

Finally, I get sick of the drifting and I make my way out onto the patio where I can feel him behind me.

"Not now, Randy." I don't want to ruin my evening. I don't want excuses. 

"Randy?" The voice is smooth, innocent, and familiar. "Don't think I've been called that before." I spin around and see a woman before me. She's mid-height, with dark brunette hair and dark eyes. Her olive skin plays nicely on her dark form-fitting dress, "I've been trying to talk to you all night and you've been very good at hiding from those who want to find you."

I squint at her, trying to figure out who she is. "I'm sorry, I'm a bit tired from the festivities. Do I know you from somewhere, you look so familiar?" I examine her features, looking her over. It tugs at my heartstrings and yet I can't place her, perhaps a princess that had visited our castle some time ago. 

"I'm your sister. Corina." She shakes her head at me, "Have you become so famous that you've already forgotten me?" 

The possibility never crossed my mind, I had written off my family as dead. I gape at her and put my hand over my mouth before rushing to throw my arms around her. Her body feels odd, stiff and solid, cold to the touch. She could of very well been a corpse for the chill in her bones.

"Corina?!" I manage. 

"Hi, Nikki." She whispers and hugs me back. While I was lost in the temptation of believing a piece of my family was still alive, I knew better than to allow myself a sliver of happiness. This world was too brutal to gift such things so easily.

"How? How did you escape?" My voice is barely audible, I wonder if I'm dreaming but it all feels too real. I pull back and cup her face in my hands, memorizing the features, convincing myself that she was the sister I remembered. "Where have you been?"