Chapter 2 [edited]

The next morning, I woke from a good night's sleep as the alarm clock began to play. Yawning, I sat up and stretched before pushing the comforter off me and starting the routine of getting ready. The smell of bacon wafted into my room through the vent as I contemplated what to wear, causing my stomach to growl loudly.

Choosing an old pair of ripped jeans, a red and grey sports tee, and my favorite jean jacket, I quickly got dressed and grabbed my backpack from my desk. Taking the steps two at a time, I hurried toward the kitchen just as Mom set a plate down at the island, a smile on her face.

"Good morning, Leaf. Did you sleep okay?"

"Better than okay," I returned a smile as I reached for a slice of bacon.

"How are you feeling this morning?" She asked as she watched my face carefully.

"A little nervous, but excited." I admitted. "I'll be okay, Mom. I know one person, and I'll make more friends by lunch."

That seemed to reassure Mom because her body visibly relaxed and she shook her head, chuckling.

"I'm just worried about you," she said while I ate the rest of my breakfast. "You're my only child, and you've been through so much over the last few months."

"Well, I was raised by a strong woman, so I know I can survive anything."

My phone chimed in my pocket just then, interrupting our talk. I pulled it out and saw Bella's text flash across the screen. Sliding it open, I read it out loud to Mom.

"'Leaving the house in five minutes. Charlie is worrying, double checking I have everything.' Sounds like you," I said teasingly to Mom.

"Well, you better make sure you have everything before she gets here," Mom joked back, taking my empty plate to the sink.

"Have you seen my -?"

Mom held out my favorite white winter hat with blue anchors and a pompom on it, and I grinned sheepishly as I took it from her. Tucking my wavy hair behind my ears, I adjusted the hat to sit on my head properly. Shaking her head in amusement, Mom turned to the fridge and pulled out the elephant patterned lunch bag she bought me last Christmas, setting it on the counter in front of me.

"There's some lunch money in the front pocket, in case you wanted something else to eat."

"Thanks, Mom." I kissed her cheek and gathered my things as a horn beeped outside. "That's probably Bella. I'll see you after school."

"Have a good day!" Mom called after me as I walked out the front door. She waved to Bella as I climbed into the truck, and we backed out of the driveway.

"Your mom seems really cool," Bella commented as we headed down the street toward the high school. "We talked a little bit after you went home last night."

"Yeah, she is. But don't tell her I said that," I jokingly said and Bella laughed.

"My lips are sealed," she promised. "I can't believe she got the idea of having her own bakery just from visiting Italy while she was in college!"

"Trust me, I know." I grinned. "It's basically a family tradition, according to my grandma. Mom is the first woman to open an actual bakery, not just running one from her kitchen."

"That definitely makes your mom cool." Bella shook her head in awe fascination.

A few moments later, we pulled into the parking lot near the administrative building and Bella shut the truck off. "Well, time to face the music, I guess."

"We got this," I smiled at her, easing any nerves we both were feeling internally.

"You're right. Let's go get our schedules."