Chapter 43 [edited]

Days slowly morphed into one another as Carlisle kept an eye on Bella and her new eating habits. The color had completely returned to her cheeks, filling her eyes with a sliver of the light that used to sparkle in them before the pregnancy. Edward and Rosalie were still at ends about the whole situation, but their bickering had lessened by day three when Bella walked around the living room on her own (under their careful supervision, of course).

The more Bella grew, the more worried I became. It was a good thing that both of them were eating, but eventually the baby would run out of room. And since we couldn't tell if he or she was more vampire than human and vice versa, it was hard to figure out an exact birth plan for Bella.

I brought it up to Carlisle when it was only the two of us in his study.

"How exactly are we supposed to get this baby out safely?" I asked, perched in one of the chairs while Carlisle poured over books from his time with the Volturi. "C-section?"

"That's one option," Carlisle answered, his eyes flickering to me. "There will be blood on hand for a transfusion in case Bella needs it..."

"But with Edward's venom, she might not need it." I echoed his trailing thought.

"Hopefully."

"Is he okay with this?" I asked after a moment. "Does he realize that in order to save her, he will have to turn her into a vampire?"

"I'm sure he does." Carlisle smiled weakly. "I know my son. He'll do what's right, despite his... personal beliefs."

"Do you realize she's practically killing herself because she's counting on me saving her?" Edward asked, standing in the doorway of the study. "She has this whole crazy theory it will work because Esme was a lot closer to death and you were able to change her."

"It makes sense," I said slowly, glancing between the two men. "If I had the chance to be with Jacob forever the same way Bella could be with you, I'd take it too."

"We will make sure she's okay, Edward. She will survive this, but you have to have a little faith." Carlisle placed a hand on Edward's shoulder and gave him a reassuring squeeze. "Your wife needs you, more than anything right now."

"I know." Edward sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Thanks, Carlisle."

"Anytime, son."

Sensing Edward had more to talk to Carlisle about, I quietly left the study and wandered back to the living room. The room was empty, except for Alice standing near the window. She turned when she heard me enter, a small smile on her lips.

"Rosalie just took Bella to the bathroom," she said before I could ask. "Esme's making food for you, Emmett and Jasper are somewhere, and Jacob's on his way."

"Thanks," I smiled back, plopping down onto the couch. "How are you feeling, Alice?"

"Better. Having Jacob and Seth around helps with my headaches. The baby makes everything blurry, just like Jacob did, so it's difficult to see Bella's future. Which absolutely terrifies me."

"You and me both." I leaned my head backwards to stare at the ceiling as the front door creaked open. Moments later, Jacob appeared in the doorway, Chloe right behind him.

"Sorry I'm late," Jacob said to Alice as Chloe hurried over to me. "We had a visitor."

"Your mom wanted me to check on you." Chloe shrugged. "And my parents took Casey to the zoo for some bonding time so I needed to get out of the house."

"I'm glad you're here, Peaches." I squeezed my best friend's hand reassuringly as Rosalie and Bella entered the room, Rosalie keeping a slow pace with Bella.