Chapter 16 [edited]

The rest of the weekend flew by in a blur, leaving more questions and fewer answers. Bella had been pacing the kitchen since Friday night, anxiously waiting for Jacob to call her; she was worried about him being sick at the movies. Something inside me knew part of the reason Jacob wasn't answering our phone calls was because of Noah.

Our almost kiss kept replaying in my head as I tried to focus on keeping myself busy at the bakery. I didn't know how I felt about it and I hadn't heard from Noah as the weekend turned into Monday morning. What if Noah was avoiding me because he realized he didn't like me? What if it's awkward at school? Would that mean I'd have to change lab partners?

"Okay, what's going on with you?" Mom's voice broke through my thoughts. I jumped, unaware that I had zoned out.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, trying my best to remain calm and act innocent. Mom gave me her "don't play dumb" look.

"You've been out of it ever since Noah left Friday night. Did something happen? Did you get into a fight?"

"No," I sighed, laying down my fork next to my plate as I finished my omelette. "I think... Noah almost kissed me. But a pair of headlights flashed across us as the car passed, and it was Jacob."

"Oh, Leaf." Mom patted my hand. "Is that why you've been moping around here?"

"Jacob isn't returning my or Bella's phone calls. Something just feels... off. I don't know how to explain it."

"Give him a few days. If he doesn't answer by the end of the week, go over and talk to him. And go talk to Noah, if you're worried about your friendship." Mom smiled before turning to the coffee pot. "Communication is best in any kind of relationship. Remember that."

"I will." I looked at the clock. "I have to go before I'm late. Love you, Mom!"

"Love you, baby girl. Don't forget to talk to him!" She called as I ran out the door.

As I pulled into my parking space ten minutes later, my eyes scanned the sea of students and vehicles. Noah's truck wasn't in the parking lot, nor was he with his friends. A mixture of disappointment and sadness swelled in my chest and I grabbed my bag from the passenger seat, hurrying into the school and to my locker.

"Have you heard from Noah yet?" Angela asked just as I yanked my locker open.

"No," I sighed. "Radio silence all weekend."

I called Angela Friday night as soon as I left Bella's and told her everything; I needed girl talk and as much as I loved Bella, I knew it would make her uncomfortable. Calling Jessica had been out of the question; we hadn't spoken much since we went to the movies with Bella.

"Maybe he was busy. Or waiting for you to call him first."

"Maybe," I said before groaning. "I don't even know why I'm all worked up over it. It could've just been a 'heat-of-the-moment' kind of thing... maybe he's not actually into me like that."

"Do you like him like that?" Angela asked. "More than a friend?"

"Honestly... I have no idea." I shook my head, feeling foolish. "I mean, it's nice being around him. He can make me laugh and we enjoy being around each other. I just... I didn't see myself getting attached to anyone after Reed. And with everything being complicated with Jacob... it wouldn't be fair to anyone, would it?"

"Can I be honest with you?" Angela waited until I nodded for her to continue. "I think that if you have feelings of any kind for Noah, you owe it to yourself to see where it goes. You deserve to have someone who's completely all about you, and I know you like Jacob but it could take him months or years to figure out his feelings for you and Bella. Why waste an opportunity to be happy with someone, ya know... we're only seventeen once."