Chapter 31 [edited]

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up..."

Jessica's voice was loud and clear in the gymnasium, the bleachers filled with proud families and teachers overlooking the graduating class. At one end of the gym sat a stage, where the Board of Education and the school administrators sat behind the podium.

Decorations in the school colors had been carefully put up by the student council, balloons lining the front of the stage and the area set aside for the seniors. In a sea of yellow caps and gowns, I met Bella's eyes a couple rows ahead of me; she shot me a smile and a thumbs up before turning forward in her chair.

"Our answers were thing like astronaut, president... Or in my case, princess. When we were ten, they asked again and we answered – rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how 'bout this: who the hell knows?!" Jessica exclaimed, throwing her arms in a shrug.

Loud hoots and hollers rang from our classmates as adults snickered, shaking their heads. Jessica continued with her speech.

"This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love – a lot. Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again, because nothing is permanent..."

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Bella shifting in her seat as Jessica's words sank in.

"So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be... we won't have to guess. We'll know."

The gym filled with thunderous applause and cheers as Jessica finished, her cheeks a bright pink as she scurried to take her place. One by one, each name was called and a graduate received their diploma. When the principal reached Bella's name, I cheered the loudest, my throat instantly hurting from the sound.

As the line in front of me grew smaller, I focused on breathing slowly and mentally telling myself not to trip in front of everyone. Finally, my name was called and I could hear the cheers getting louder as I was handed my diploma.

Turning towards the bleachers where Mom was sitting with Charlie, tears instantly formed in my eyes when I saw Jacob and the pack behind Mom; their grins were visible even from the stage. Tears started to fall quickly as I noticed Grandma was also with Mom, pride on her face lighting up her eyes. Once we were all back to our seats, the principal beamed at us before leaning toward the microphone.

"Congratulations to our graduates!"

A flurry of yellow caps filled the air as we cheered again, the feeling of happiness and accomplishment sweeping through the crowd.

As families slowly emptied out the bleachers to congratulate their children, Bella and I made our way to Mom and Charlie, weaving in and out of the crowd to avoid bumping into others. Mom immediately engulfed me into a bear hug once I was in arm's reach, tears flowing down her face.

"You did it, Leaf! I am so freaking proud of you!"

"Thanks, Mom." I hugged her back just as tightly. "I couldn't have done it without you."

As soon as Mom released me, Grandma was next to hug me; her eyes were just as shiny from crying as Mom's were.

"I'm so glad I got to surprise you," she whispered in my ear. "You are becoming an incredible young woman, and I'm honored to be your grandma. I love you, Auttie."

"I love you too, Grandma."

Jacob was standing a few feet behind Grandma, talking to Leah and newly graduated Chloe as he patiently waited for his turn. He met my eyes as I stepped away from my family and the biggest grin broke across his face. Motioning for him to wait one more minute, I unzipped the gown and slipped it off my shoulders before handing it over to Mom long with my cap.