Chapter No. 13

Noah

After spending five consecutive hours on an assignment, I finally managed to make the analysis without any mistake presumably. Proud of my appreciable effort, I gave myself a mental pat and then made my way towards Emma's office.

I knocked at the door and after hearing her response, stepped inside. "I completed the assignment." I informed her and placed the file on her table.

"That's fast," she commented and gave checked out the file briefly.

"Well, speed is my specialty actually." My lips curved into a proud smirk.

"Really? I think speed is overrated. Endurance matters more." she mirrored my smirk and I gulped in response. Did she mean what I think she meant?

Quickly, I changed my perplexed expression into self-assured one and uttered, "I'll keep it in mind, for future reference."

Her brown eyes narrowed to slits as she glared at me with a dangerous glint in her eyes. "I have to admit, you are one smooth jerk." A faint hint of a smile could be seen lingering on her face.

"So, would you like to go for drinks tonight with this smooth jerk?" I asked.

On hearing this, she ambled towards me, stopping only few steps away from me. "Will you take no for an answer?" she questioned, cocking her head to a side.

Up close, she looked more beautiful than she already was. I was never a fan of short hair but they really suited her whole dominant and confident persona.

I shook my head in no as a response to her previous question.

"Then no," she smirked and then walked past me, to the files cabinet. "If you have time for drinks, you have time for work." Saying this, she shoved the file towards me and ordered me to highlight all the important details.

"One day, Miss. Bennett," I muttered under my breath and gave her an assuring smile before making my way out to the lounge.

..........

After exerting myself for another two tiresome hours, I finally returned to my apartment. When I entered the living room, I was taken aback by its disorganised state. The coffee table was a mess and there were empty packets of chips lying on the dirty floor. I peeped into the kitchen to look for Sophia and found last night's dirty dishes in the sink.

Sophia liked everything in the apartment arranged and spotless, whether it be the lounge or the kitchen. There was never a speck of dust anywhere by the time I return from the office.

God! Did somebody kill her?

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard a distressed whimper. I scurried towards her room and gasped when found her lying on the bed, her hands holding her stomach and her face clenched in a painful manner.

"Hey, what happened?" I reached near her and lightly touched her forehead, that happened to be slightly warm.

She opened her eyes and stared at me with puppy dog look on her face. "I am dying." she whispered in an exhausted voice.

"What?"

She let out another groan and tightened her hold on her stomach. "Period... cramps." she managed to say.

My nose scrunched up at hearing this and I swallowed hard. I tried to find a proper response but failed. "Um... I... Is there something... Well..." My cheeks heated up.

Her eyes bore holes through my skull as she fumed in rage, "You can talk about ass, vagina and dick but now you are embarrassed."

"Sorry." I apologized because I didn't want to poke the beast at this moment.