Chapter No. 29

Noah

When the warm sunlight pierced my eyes, I rotated on the bed and snuggled deeper into the warmth beside me. At first, I didn't realise the presence on the bed with me but when my fingers glided accross the smooth skin of a feminine waist, my eyes shot open.

Beneath me was Sophia's sleeping figure; her eyes closed and her mouth slightly parted. Our legs were intertwined and my arms was draped over her thin waist. My face flushed at our proximity. Her soft yet perfectly toned body was clung to mine and I couldn't help but feel aroused by this.

I tried to part away but my one arm was already beneath her and pullung it away meant waking her up and making it much more awkward. So I just stayed in that position for some minute and appreciated her beautiful face. Her skin was flawless; so smooth and so healthy. She had the perfect bone structure and full, red lips. Her chin was slightly pointed and her jawline was sharp yet feminine. There was a small freckle just beneath her jaw and I imagined what it would feel like to kiss there.

God.

To save myself from misery, I pulled my arm that was beneath her to sit up and just like I had expected, she woke up instantly. Her eyes adjusted to the light and when they fell on me, she immediately straightened to sitting position.

She peeked under the blanket and sighed in relief when she found herself clothed.

"Don't worry, I didn't deflower you." I grinned and hopped out of the bed, earning a hissing sound from her.

"What were you doing in my--- Wait. God! Did I cry in front of you last night?" she hid her face in between her palms.

"Third time is a charm." I smirked.

"It was the third time you have seen me cry." she groaned in embarrassment. "That's more times than my freaking parents."

"Lucky me." I rolled my eyes at her exaggeration.

She then checked her mobile and raised her head to look at me. "Don't you have work today? It's already 10." she told me and my eyes widened in fear.

"Shit." I yelped when the events of last night appeared in my memory; how I was supposed to meet Emma and how I switched off my phone. "Shit, shit, shit." I repeated in agitation.

I was an hour late for work.

She is going to kill me.

"I need to go." I said to Sophia and dashed into my room to change into my work clothes. I brushed my teeth and got ready with the speed of light and scurried out of the apartment.

The traffic of New York added to my already panicked state as it took me half an hour to reach the office building. By the time I reached our floor, all the junior associates lifted their heads to look at me, as if I was an animal being taken to the slaughterhouse.

"Emma is really angry." James said to me and the knot in my stomach tightened.

Bracing myself, I walked towards her office and tapped it gently. Her voice came from inside so I opened the door ajar and barged inside.

Emma was already sitting on her chair, her arms crossed in front of her chest and her mouth thinned into a line.

"I am really sorry, Emma. I---"

"So the Prince is finally awake?" she asked sarcastically. "Was the sleep pleasant enough?"

"I didn't sleep last night. Well I did, but that's not the reason why I couldn't come." I said in the apologetic tone. "Sophia needed me."

Her already angered face somehow became more angry as she narrowed her eyes at me. "Of course she did. And when Her Highness needs anything, why would you think about anyone else?"

Her tone irked me and I ran my fingers through my hair in agitation. "It was not like that. She had a really bad break up last night so as her friend, it was my job to comfort her."

"And as my boyfriend, it was your job to be with me." she scowled. "Besides, it isn't your fault anyway. I knew she didn't want you with me so of course, she would plan this to keep you away from me."

"That's not true at all. She isn't like that." I groaned.

"Just go away, Noah, I don't want you here today. We will talk tomorrow." she gritted and turned her attention to the file in her hand.

"Emma, please. Try to understand." I requested.

"Just go, Noah. I am giving you a day off. Go and enjoy with your friend." she said.

"But---"

"If you don't go now, I'll make sure you regret it." she miffed.

I let out a disappointing sigh and made my way out of her office.

..........

The apartment didn't feel good and homely without Sophia so I went to see my mother. I had the lunch with her and then made my way back to our area. When I passed through a certain coffee house, I stopped the car and walked in.

There she was, standing behind the counter, her eyes fixed on the ground.

"One Cappuccino." I said.

"Sure," she said passively and when she acknowledged my presence, a smile broke on her mouth. "What are you doing here?"

"Nothing. Just got free early." I answered. She was dressed in the waitress' uniform, her hair pulled back in a bun. Overall, she looked cute.

"Okay, sit somewhere. I'll bring your coffee." she smiled but I could see the sadness in her eyes. I knew she missed Alaric and she actually liked him, and what he did last night broke her heart. Yet, she was trying to act normal in front of me.

I seated in a booth and waited for her to come. She returned with a piping hot cup of cappuccino and a blueberry cupcake in a plate. "Cupcake on the house." she said.

"Where are you going?" I asked as she walked past me.

"Well, I guess you're forgetting, I'm a waitress here." she shrugged.

"Well, I am a customer and the customer is always right. Sit with me." I said.

At first, she looked doubtful but then she finally sat in front of me and propped her elbows on the table.

"What happened? she asked. "You look worried."

"Nothing. I just... I got Emma really upset." I whisepred and took a sip of the cappuccino. It was really good, the perfect combination of sweetness and bitterness.

"Wait, don't tell me you cheated on her." she asked.

"No, I didn't. I don't cheat, Sophia." I added sourly.

"Then?"

"Just... I messed up." I answered.

"Well, do you like her?" she asked.

Did I?

I did. I did like her but there was someone else I liked more. Someone who would never reciprocate these feelings because for her, I was a playboy and a manwhore who isn't suitable for a relationship. So yeah, Emma was the best option for me.

"Yes, I do like her." I said and a weird expression passed through her face for a small moment which she hid perfectly.

"Well, then go tell her that. The Noah I know doesn't take 'no' for an answer." she grinned.

"The Noah you know is an idiot." I chuckled.

"Well, maybe that's the most lovable think about him." she winked at me and then stood up to leave. As she made her way back to the counter, I sipped the last of the coffee and mentally prepared myself to persuade Emma into forgiving me.

__________________________

Any views about the story uptil now?