Chapter No. 20

Sophia

We were so close to kissing, so close, and I didn't stop him. Why didn't I stop him? For a moment, I forgot about everything else and the only thing I felt was this weird feeling in my stomach and his intoxicating masculine scent filling my senses.

This can't be good. Right?

I mean It's Noah. Stupid, flirtatious and annoying Noah. He wasn't worth wasting the butterflies in my stomach.

"Hey," Tessa's chirpy voice hit my ears and I jumped up on my seat. She passed me the tray and I took it to its table. Once I returned, she was staring at me with a smirk on her face. "Day-dreaming about Alaric, are we?"

"Actually... I was thinking about Noah." I said in a guilt-stricken voice, as if I had done something wrong.

Her big eyes widened more on hearing this. "Noah? Why in hell were you thinking about Noah?" she asked me with a frown on her face.

"I... Well..."

"Speak up, woman," she said and I pushed my hair away from my face in nervousness.

"We almost kissed last night." I whispered and her face contorted.

She seated herself in front of me and then placed her face in between her palms, as if we were discussing something really important. "But why? Are you attracted to him?" she asked.

"No. I mean, he is attractive... And charming. But I don't like him that way."

"Are you sure? Because if you do feel something for him, what is even the point of tagging Alaric along?" she advised me in a serious voice.

"It's Alaric we're taking about, Tess. I have had a crush on him for a year now. Noah is nothing but a troublemaker and I do not feel anything for him." I said defensively.

"Well, then go take his order. He is here." she smiled and I angled my neck to look at the tall figure entering the cafe. He looked handsome as always, with his hair gelled back and a brown shirt stretched over his muscular body.

Nodding, I went into the kitchen and prepared his usual order. He waved at me from his seat when he noticed me and I beamed at him. Once the tray was set, I moved towards his table and placed the coffee and the scone in front of him.

"Do you need anything else?" I asked with a mischievous smile.

"What about your company?" he leaned towards me and whispered.

I put my hands on my hip and said with fake anger, "Do you want me to get fired?"

"Maybe. Then I can bring you here for a date." he chuckled and it made me chuckle too.

That's when I noticed the empty table which was usually occupied by a book. "Where is your book?" I asked.

His gaze lowered to the table and a sad smile appeared on his lips. He then raised his head, extended his hand and took mine in his strong grip.

"Maybe it's time to move on from the books." he whispered.

I looked around to see if the owner was around. Once I was sure nobody was looking at us, I sat down besides him and laced my fingers with his. "It's okay Alaric, I am sure your wife would want you to move on one day."

"It's hard." he muttered under his breath and his eyes turned empty.

"I know." I said, scooting closer to him.

He stared into my eyes with his warm ones and blush crept up my cheeks. Bringing his hand to my chin, he cupped it gently and then leaned forwards to place a small peck on my lips.