12 - Clients

Safe to say, Sherlock was intrigued by the jeweller's case. He was pleasantly surprised to find that John had found him a decent case (not that he doubted John's abilities to do so, of course, but he did find every case interesting even if they hadn't the slightest appeal to Sherlock). Before leaving, Sherlock informed Elizabeth that Mrs Hudson would be around to watch out for her (should she decide to leave) but was promptly reminded that she had no real desire to leave anymore unless she had a death wish. Assured by her response, he trusted her to be fine on her own and left with John and the jeweller to go and analyse the scene of the crime.

At the jewellers, the detective was in his element, deducting clues from the scene, "You said that they messed with the CCTV?"

"Yes, I don't even know how they get in." The owner despaired.

"Do you have any other staff that work here?"

"Only Abigail and Tom, sales assistants, but Abigail only works at the weekends and Tom on Mondays and Wednesdays."

"And you said that it was only ever women and girls that robbed your store?"

"Yes." The jeweller frowned.

John piped up at this point, "All staff come in through the back, don't they? And isn't there a passcode to unlock the backdoor?"

"Yes, but if you're suggesting that Abigail is the one who messes with the CCTV then I have to say that your awfully wrong." The man adjusted his glasses with a more amused frown, "She's - "

"She's what?" Sherlock enquired.

"Abigail can sell but otherwise she is as thick as a plank. I highly doubt she would be able to hack CCTV."

"How do you know she isn't faking?" John posed this question to him.

"Fake being thick? Well, I - I..." The jeweller paused as it dawned on him, "I don't know."

"Just to make sure: when did you say the robberies started?" Sherlock added.

"Early this year."

"And when did you employ Abigail?"

"Before the start of this year."

"And there you have your answer but now we need the evidence. We'll need to catch her in the act. Mr Agate, John and I will see you tomorrow. Rest assured we'll catch the thieves." Sherlock nodded to the jeweller before turning to leave with John. Once outside the detective muttered, "Sounds like there is a female gang in operation."

"Told you that you would like the case." John replied smugly.

* * * * *

While John and Sherlock were away, Elizabeth was just milling about the flat at home. Mrs Hudson checked on her once, offering her tea when she did to which the thief happily obliged. Nothing interesting happened really. Therefore she had to make her own distractions. Shaun might have been a close friend, and yes she missed and mourned him, but she knew that if he were still here that he would probably tell her not to cry over him of all people, even though she loved him dearly.

In fact, while the men were gone, Elizabeth took the time to really look at the flat - not just to see it but to observe it too. Somehow, the fact that there was a smiley face spray painted on the wall never did quite dawn on her and she smiled at this. But the smile was quickly replaced with concern when she saw the bullet holes in the wall. Why on earth were there bullet holes? On top of the fire place was the skull, which she oddly found less alarming than the bullet holes, and a number of items held down to the wood by a knife.

Elizabeth didn't get far with her curious analysis of the flat when the door to the apartment opened - but it didn't reveal Sherlock or John or even Mycroft or Mrs Hudson for that matter. Instead, a young woman. She smiled, her red-painted lips reaching ear-to-ear revealing two neat rows of glistening teeth.