16 - Solving The Kelly Case

A/N: Thank you for almost 1000 reads! 😄
This chapter is just to conclude the Seamus Kelly case so you don't have to be annoyed by not knowing what happened there 😄 Enjoy!

___________________________

The two men never did find anything at the crime scene where Sherlock and Elizabeth had been held. Not even the weapon with which was used to kill Scarlett. This was depressingly confirmed by Lestrade. Whoever had killed off their abductors left as though they were never there. It would simply be another unsolved Sherlock Holmes case.

Or would it?

On the way back to the flat, while looking out of the window of the taxi cab, John remembered the other case that Mycroft had given them.

"Have you solved that Seamus Kelly case yet?"

"Mycroft's case? Not yet. I'm close." Sherlock paused, his brow in the form of a frown. Taking out his phone he pulled up Ms Kelly's Facebook page. He needed a distraction after all and a hint of smirk crossed his lips when he cracked the case, "John, do you fancy taking a detour. I just need confirmation that my suspicions are correct, then we can put that case to bed."

"Sure, as long as you're fine after - "

"Why wouldn't I be fine?" Sherlock was quick to say.

John raised his hands in defence, "Forget what I said. Let's go." He sighed.

"Excuse me, driver..." And Sherlock instructed him where to go instead.

* * * * * *

"Mr Holmes, I didn't expect to see you this evening." A youngish woman with curled blonde hair had greeted Sherlock and John at the door.

"No, I'm sure you didn't because you thought you had gotten away with it, didn't you, Ms Kelly?" He replied, inviting himself in and beckoning John to follow.

Closing the door as they rudely entered without invitation, she looked at the men with incredulity at the inferred accusation.

"I don't know what you're suggesting."

Sherlock smiled, "Then allow me to explain." He paused, gathering his thoughts, "After Kara was murdered, everyone was always going to blame Seamus for his wife's untimely passing, what with the past allegations of sexual harassment and abuse against him from his past marriage. Made sense if she was found garotted in their shared bed. Seamus and Connor never had a good relationship and Connor was already married to you, so why would they even consider his brother a suspect?"

Both John and Connor's wife listened to what the detective had to say but a notable look of anxiousness fell upon Lydia's face.

"That was your first mistake. You should have let your husband live, Lydia. If you had then maybe you could have gotten a divorce, a nice settlement and you couod have sent your husband off to prison instead rather than serving your own life inside."

"I didn't kill Mr Kelly's brother." She retorted defensively, her voice faltering slightly.

"You mean your husband? Surely if all things were happy you would have called him your husband or Connor rather than by ownership of his sibling?"

Lydia swallowed, a darker look crossing her face.

"By the looks of your Facebook profile, it would appear that you've had many past relationships."

"What's that go to do with anything?"

"There were a couple of photos I found interesting. Particularly the ones in which you were captured kissing other women. Are you bisexual, Ms Kelly?"

"I think you should leave."

"I think I should finish solving the case? Don't you? John, call the police. By the time they're here we'll be done."

"How do you know I won't run?" She queried.

"Because you have nothing left to lose."

Lydia never responded to this. She didn't respond because it was true. While John called for the police, she simply sat down and poured herself a glass of gin.

"Continue then." She muttered before she took a sip of the fiery liquid, "Why did I do it?"

"Connor killed his sister-in-law because she was having an affair. Specifically an affair with you, wasn't she?"

After downing the glass, she set it down before confessing, "We loved each other. Connor found out. He had taken my phone and had seen the messages. That man was a monster when he had had a drink, why else would I look for love elsewhere? Kara and I? She was different. She cared. Kara loved Seamus, God, that man couldn't hurt a fly and everyone that knew Seamus knew that those allegations against him were false, but there was something missing in their marriage. They had fallen out of love with each other but I fell for her and she fell for me. After Connor found out, we fought, and he left. He came back the next morning and said that my affair was 'terminated'. The police came in the afternoon and that's when I realised that he had killed Kara. I confronted him. I was so angry. He had taken away the only person who had really loved me. And I stabbed him. Again and again. I knew that if I didn't kill him then he would probably kill me next. He had Kara's phone on him. I took her phone. It's upstairs under my mattress. Then I cleaned up as best I could. But I guess I never could outsmart you."

By the time she was finished saying her part, blue lights flashed outside Lydia's home. There was a knock at the door, to which John opened to find Lestrade.

Lestrade strolled over to Lydia and promptly brought out a pair of handcuffs, "Lydia Kelly, I'm arresting you for the murder of Connor Kelly. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Thanks, Sherlock." The detective nodded before leaving the house with Lydia.

John looked to Sherlock, "Once again you never cease to amaze me."

"The facts were always there John. We just needed to find them." Sherlock then questioned, "Back to the flat?"

"Well, have you solved the Jeweller's case yet?"

"I've technically already solved it. We just need evidence."

John shrugged. Fair enough, "Then back to the flat it is."