Chapter 8 - Confusing Revelations

"Hmm...this is heaven!" I sigh and shove another spoonful of chocolate ice cream into my mouth.

Gracie makes similarly happy noises to mine from across the booth. Jordan laughs at us as he leans back and watches us. He is already finished with his ice cream and is now nursing a cup of coffee.

"You've still got that sweet tooth, I see," he says.

"I'd be quite happy to eat nothing but sweets for the rest of my life," I tell him sincerely. "But for as long as I live with Alex, I guess that's not gonna happen."

"So he's still on your case about eating healthily?"

"He's gotten worse," I claim dramatically.

"Now you're exaggerating. I doubt that's even possible."

"It is. You'll see for yourself. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Eat your vegetables. Less carbs and more proteins are good for your body. Dessert is bad for you...need I go on?" I randomly quote Alex, rolling my eyes while Gracie giggles at me.

"That does sound like Alex, indeed," Jordan agrees. "But he means well."

"You don't need to defend him. He's the best, but when it comes to eating, he's got a screw loose."

"Lily," my brother chastises me half-heartedly.

When I glance at him, I notice that his eyes are sparking with amusement.

"Well, it's true. Just ask the others. I'm only repeating what they're saying."

"Nothing much has changed since I was last here, I see. – So, how's the new school? Do you like it?"

"It's kind of weird to be with all the big kids," Gracie speaks for the two of us. "It makes you feel young and stupid and...I don't know...insignificant?"

"It takes a bit of getting used to," I add. "The bigger kids look at us funny when we walk through the hallways. Kind of like we're not supposed to be there and as if we're intruding. They probably think they're being intimidating."

"They are intimidating. At least to me," Gracie admits.

I would generally say that my best friend is more courageous than me in most situations, so it is a bit strange to hear her say this. While I also think that the older students are deliberately treating us like our mere existence is offending them, I don't really care about it. Although I know that I am considered to be a rather shy kid, they don't manage to scare me. I guess that's because I am used to being around older kids.

"Well, lucky that you got your brothers to show you around and look out for you then. I'm sure nobody will mess with you or your friends if they know that you're Jack's sister. He's got somewhat of a reputation, being on the football team and all, or so I've heard," Jordan says.

I give him a funny look and he questioningly raises an eyebrow at me. "What?"

"Nobody knows about us being siblings," I explain.

"How comes? Don't tell me you're embarrassed about them. Come on, baby, that's a bit harsh, although I get that you're not Aidan's biggest fan. But Jack's okay. And Noah's not too bad to you, either, is he?"

"Try the other way round."

"Huh?" Jordan is clearly confused.

"The twins have told Lily and I not to speak to them in school," Gracie explains for me. "They don't want anyone to know that they know us, let alone that they are related to Lily."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Nope," I back up Gracie's story.

"That's ridiculous! What happened to sticking together as a family?"