chapter 28

Brown eyes looked deadly still back at her as she stood in front of a giant mirror in prince Raine's chambers. Comb forgotten in her hand in mid air, she focused closely on the darkening circles around her eyes mirroring the shadows of the very chambers she was residing in.

The deathly darkness was taking a toll on her and she found herself unable to sleep properly for the last three nights. Nobody except the maids with food came to visit her outlet her out of the chambers. Even when she tried to get information about Leon's safety, maids simply refused to disclose anything at all.

Defeated, she put the comb back on the dressing table, letting her hair fall on her back as taming was of little Interest to her right now. She turned around, advancing towards the bed as her thoughts reeled back to prince Raine.  He hadn't shown up for last three days since that incident and she was growing wary of his intentions.

What if he decided to take this anger out on Lord Leon?

Nay, she couldn't imagine such thing. She would have to do something about it. She must call him back in some way to ask him what's really going on in the castle. 

The door was knocked and then opened as a maid appeared with a huge tray covered by silk cloth, hiding the food inside. She walked Inside leaving a trail for other two maids who brought water and the third one held table.

Without a word they put the table and started adjusting all the utensils on it. Just the sight of all the food brought a nauseating wave in her throat and she gulped down to get rid of this uneasiness. She was in no mood of enjoying royal food here while Leon out there rotted in dungeon with God knows any food to fill his stomach or not.

"You can carry it all back. I intend not to eat anything."

Maid placing foot dishes on table looked baffled as she exchanged glances with others seemingly thinking of what to do.

"We are supposed to feed you,milady. Theses are direct orders." One in the back informed Skye who nearly snickered but maintained herself.

"Who gave you these orders?" Skye asked amused at the incredulity of the situation. Once again leaving lips of all the maids tightly sealed for sometime. Finally a maid who was putting food dishes started adjusting the dishes again as if not paying attention to skye just said.

The other maid from earlier saw a surprised look on Skye's face and exhaled," milady, we are going to be punished if you ended up in bed with empty stomach." She tried to explain to skye who was now irritated.

Why were they not listening to her and who this person think he was to issue such orders regarding her diet. Whoever this is would have to have a word with her directly.

Skye raised her chin in defiance,"then tell this person to come and talk to me instead of forcing you to feed me."

All the maids grew silent for a minute and skye thought they were again going to ignore her but thankfully the one ahead bowed and nudged others to carry the tray with food back. They all left with worry etched on their faces.

Skye let out an audible sigh and turned towards the window and shoved the curtain a little to find the darkness stretching all around. Her back stiffened at the abrupt push of the door as heavy boots entered the chambers with a dominant aura oozing with authority.

She turned around but by then prince Raine had already covered the remaining strides in haste and directly stopped in front of skye. His grey eyes looked Sharp and on edge as if accessing different stories inside them which were hard to hold in.

"What am I hearing? You refused the meal?" After three days, skye felt like his aura was renewed and grew more distant than earlier. There was some hidden anger inside it which skye couldn't care less about.