The Stones that start the Avalanche

Sonic had suggested that they all went to an evening picnic, of sorts, in the park, far out into the country, to 'calm everyone down', as he put it.

Word had spread like wildfire that Eggman had been spotted and that his time off was coming to a swift, unwelcome close. Many of the native Mobians were downright panicking that their months of peace might be taken away from them and, as such, the Sonic Allies were kept busy with reassuring the masses and putting on brave faces. The fact that Eggman had, as of yet, not actually done anything did not sit well with any of them. It was tiring to have to keep looking over your shoulder for fear that Eggman would suddenly spring a trap when you dared to lower your guard.

Still, just to put everyone in the right spirits, Sonic had thought that an evening together would be best for the team, to strengthen bonds and reestablish alliances.

The evening could not have been more beautiful; the moon was large, tinged orange, and the stars were beginning to slowly appear amid the darkening navy and coral sky.

Knuckles had brought Angel Island inland a little so that he was still in close contact with the Master Emerald as he and Rouge partook of the assossiation among friends including the likes of Blaze and Silver. 

Blaze was often on the scene but Silver was a special treat. 

He had been a mischevious little 14 year old hedgehog once. Now he was a mishevious little 24 year old hedgehog and to say that he didn't enjoy popping through the fabrics of time and space on a monthly basis would have been a lie. In truth, Silver was often lonely in his own time, a world that existed into the far future though no-one knew, for certain, how far into the future that was. Silver often teased that he knew which of his allies and friends would have children and even claimed that he knew their names and birthdays. Whether he was telling the truth or not, no-one bothered to find out. The future was an area that they agreed would not be touched by any of them save for Silver seeing as he lived there and only made the trips so as to ensure the future remained peaceful. Even Blaze opted to limit her visits though she was from an entirely alternate dimension altogether. 

The fact of the matter was that Silver had very few friends in the future and the only close friends he had lived in his past. It was a complicated set-up. He hoped that his vists weren't always taken as a sign of impending doom but he really did like to spend time with his friends as much as possible, especially seeing as he still felt a need to make up to Sonic what he had tried to do to him once in an erased timeline.

- - - - -

The only ones not at the 'picnic' yet were the Chaotix who were trying to finish up their work as quickly as possible before leaving. Charmy was working out what to wear as Vector filed away some notes and photos and Espio went about typing up some information for later use.

"You know there was that trouble at the medical facility?" the chameleon then murmured quietly, seemingly out of the blue. Vector was the only one in the room to hear him and he nodded his scaly head.

"Yer mean the asylum? What about it?"

"I've just been connecting the dots," Espio went on, "The asylum is situated on an island north of the harbour. Lost one of its inmates recently. From which direction did the reports say our boat theif entered?" Vector paused in his filing and looked round, his reptilian eyes narrowing.

"North," he growled thoughtfully, "Yer reckon the boat theif is the same as the escaped madman?"

To that, Espio shrugged his shoulders.

"Just connecting the dots."

"As yer say," Vector grunted, closing a drawer and grabbing up his jacket, "Well keep that in mind. We gotta go meet up with the others, anyway, or we'll be late."