...and Sharks have come to Feed

Watching out for Orbot and Cubot, Ira dragged the cumbersome body of his knocked out brother (which was a feat in itself!) from the living quarters and to his own personal 'study'.

Eggman had always been the brainbox scientist so it was Eggman that got the fancy laboratories and the high-tech machines and equipment.

That wasn't to say, however, that Ira went without.

While working for his brother on Christmas Isle, Ira had been given a lavish laboratory of his own, with minimal computers and a single glass container which could be stocked with whatever he wished. His part to play in the grand scheme of things was the secret agent, the fetcher, the carrier, the hit-man, of sorts. He had collected a mountain of books on his varying subjects, all stored neatly in his study where he had spent only a little of his time before being caught by the authorities and sent to rot away in an asylum prison.

Basically, it was the only part of the Robotnik factory that Ira had the authority to change the security code for and that was what Ira was pitching his safety on.

There was an old cracked sofa in his study, partly hidden under a hideous hand-made throw (a patchwork quilt experiment performed by his mother), and a small refridgerator that could do with being re-stocked after over 25 years, so he was confident that his brother's living conditions weren't awful.

It would be enough for him to concentrate on what he needed to do, anyway.

Especially once he finally got round to stocking his container...

Speaking of which...

Some rooting around in his brother's data files uncovered the correct start-up procedure for his robots that were being stored in the vaults. He wasn't sure how this was going to go down but it was a risk he would have to take so long as he remembered to tred carefully.

Ignoring all the other old robots, Ira made his way to the very end of the room, glancing at the piece of paper where he had scribbled the code that would open up those ominous doors.

Metal Sonic's body was right where Ira last remembered seeing him.

Ira Robotnik had a fantastic memory - almost frighteningly fantastic. This photographic memory had allowed him to escape the asylum in the first place and he was to be damned if he let it fail him now.

Booting up the computer nearby, Ira typed in the next few codes and the lengthy password. Then came the biological password. Being Eggman's brother, Ira had a higher chance of working his way past this bit than anyone else.

Sure enough, perplexed that the results were very similar to Eggman's, the comptuer asked for further clarification. Ira was able to plug in the right codewords to convince the computer that he was Dr Eggman and not Dr Eggman's younger brother.

The screen remained black save for a single line of green wording:

  'Start-up sequence initiated... Metal Sonic... Online.'

The tubes and wires around the metal husk gave a sigh as compressed air escaped from vents and electricity began to hum once more.

Yet the robotic body still looked void of life.

That was until the computer gave another bleep and more green lettering, badly broken, came typing on the screen:

'MetalSonic: "wHo arE yOu?"'

Ira had been holding his breath up until that moment whereby he let it out with a nervous smile.
Metal Sonic, his brother's supposed 'best creation', was active and now talking to him!