Chapter 19

LOOK AT THE BEAUTIFUL LOVE SQUARE I MADE🥵😭 OMG what a twist. I love Jess so much I just had to bring her in to stir up some crazy emotions. AND MICHEAL? AHHHH just confess your love for her you idiot. I'm over my own story-telling dammit.

Anywayssss thank you for everything you do to make my story flourish!! I LOVE YOU! ENJOY THIS CHAPTER😭💕💕

************************************************

Lainey

Lainey continued to look for a sign of agreement in Cassidy, but only watched her distracted with someone behind her. Lainey turned annoyed and looked, her body rotated afterwards. She tried so hard not to faint, but instead, she felt dizzy and her eyes stung as they filled with tears and streamed out. This has to have been another one of her day dreams, there was no way Jess was there in front of her right then and there.

"I knew I'd find you here." She smiled sadly. Lainey's heart broke right then and there, it was impossible that she was standing in front of her then.

"Jess." Lainey said airy, she choked, she was worried if she said anymore, she would start gasping for air or maybe she would faint.

She didn't say anything else, neither of them did. For someone, who Lainey thought was dead for years, she didn't have much to say. She jumped forward and wrapped her into a hug. This definitely wasn't a dream, that made her cry a little harder. Lainey didn't know what to ask her. Where she's been, what she's been doing, how her recovery was... why she didn't call her? She thought she was dead, she left the hospital thinking she was gone forever, that the love of her life was dead.

"Can we go somewhere else and catch up? There's too much to talk about here." Jess looked up at Cassidy standing, still in confusion and then back at Lainey.

"Yeah..." Lainey turned back to Cassidy. "Just go home." She said, still squeezing out each word.

With that, Lainey turned and left with Jess, leaving Cassidy alone in the bar full of people. Lainey knew she wouldn't go back to the diner; she would probably go home.

~~~

They sat down in a booth at a restaurant and looked across the table at each other. Was this really happening right now, or was this another complex daydream, "W-what happened?" Lainey asked. She was still surprised she had seen her. Like the feeling of seeing a ghost, or a very old friend in a random time and place. She held Jess's hand just to make sure.

"I had surgery that was recommended and my brain continued to swell so they induced a medical coma. When they pulled the plug, I woke up. I was in a lot of pain and from there I started my journey of learning how to walk again and speak and think. She kept playing with her thumbs and then looked up at her, her eyes so glassy, "then when I regained my memory, the first person I remembered was you." Jess was finishing up what she could hardly remember that day.

Lainey looked down at her hands on the table, rubbing her forehead. She was over crying for Jess; in fact, she was nearly over her in general. She was with Cassidy now, there was no going back. Your dad, your sister? Nobody contacted me?

"Nobody had the time they were taking care of me and my treatments and appointments. Lainey, I couldnt fucking walk or speak for myself," she said sadly. Lainey felt guilty, she went through something traumatic, but there wasnt a time in the entire two years Lainey was back in California that anyone thought to tell her the love of her life was still alive? She was in the room with the two of them and they didnt think to let her know? She was traumatized too, its selfish to say that, but what other way was there to say it. She thought her best friend and the love of her life died in a tragic accident and for two years lived without knowing she was out there alive. Lainey fortunately was able to get to say her goodbyes in person, but she didnt know if that was harder on her or not. "Who was the girl at the bar?"