CHAPTER FIVE

***

It had been three weeks by now.
Three whole damn weeks without leaving this small, dark apartment and Jungkook still felt bothered by it, every single day. But somehow he also learned to find peace in it. Taehyung wasn't forcing him to stay in the basement anymore, he let him work in the kitchen and sleep on the couch while Taejeon had his own room by now.

Jungkook didn't understand what it was with Taehyung and kids but the older couldn't stand seeing Taejeon cry. After he once fell and bruised his knee, Taehyung spent a whole hour pressing ice packs on it and bandaged it, carrying the kid around the whole day. He even brought ice cream home.
When Jungkook however burned his finger while cooking or cut his finger, all Taehyung did was laugh and slap his ass.

Anyway, all of this made Jungkook actually think that Taehyung was a decent human being. At least he didn't hurt children and he never took advantage of any of them.

But today everything seemed different, Jungkook had already worried a little when Taehyung got up at 5am and left the apartment without even having breakfast. Jungkook was a little taken aback when he asked Taehyung if he should prepare him something to eat on his way and Taehyung just yelled at him, telling him to shut up and stop behaving like a fucking girl.
He hadn't seen Taehyung ever since and it was getting late already, 9pm.

Jungkook was standing in the kitchen, cooking a dish he recently found in a book about cooking that Taehyung bought him. Maybe it would cheer the older up a little after such a long day.
Taejeon was already brought to bed which made Jungkook feel a little bit lonely. Sometimes he found himself thinking back to how it would have been if his parents would have survived that night, if he was still around them.

Or if Taehyung actually did them a favor by saving them from the hell of his home.

Right when Jungkook was cutting some vegetables to make the dish more healthy, the door swung open and Taehyung rushed in, slamming it shut once again with his hands obviously still shaking. They were covered in blood, along with his shirt. Kook glanced up, gasping a little when he saw Taehyung out of breath, throwing away a huge bunch of money with his eyes full of disgust.

"Good evening", Jungkook said in a small voice when Taehyung saw him in the kitchen.
"What are you doing?", the older asked, voice cracked and sounding more rough than ever.

"I was cooking food-"
"Shouldn't Taejeon sleep already?"
"N-no he does. I thought you must be hungry after you went out all day-"
"We could've just got take-out, Kook", Taehyung rolled his eyes at him, turning away while putting his jacket away.

Jungkook didn't say a word, he just let out a sigh and looked at the meal he just prepared for a whole hour. "Don't you want to eat it then?"
"I don't care Jungkook", Taehyung threw his shoes against the wall and then walked over to see what Jungkook was even making. "It's literally 9pm, Kook. You could've just watched TV I told you I don't mind if you do stuff for yourself once in a while."

"I didn't want you to get mad if I just sit around", Jungkook said in a small voice, tears coming up. "A-and you had a long day-"
The older just rolled his eyes, walking over to the sink to wash the blood off his hands.

"W-what happened?", Jungkook dared to ask but oh well that was a bad idea.
"That's none of your fucking business", Taehyung snapped, scrubbing off the blood while tears kept falling off the older's cheeks.

"Where does all the money come from?", Jungkook asked, glancing at the money Taehyung threw to the table without a care in the world.

"Shut the fuck UP", Taehyung yelled out, "I lost my job with saving your fucking life, Jungkook. I need to get money somewhere to feed a whole ass man and a child every day!"