Thief pt.2

"Isn't it funny how we met when I was about to steal your stuff, but now you've stolen my heart."

"You did not just say that." I deadpan.

"But I did."

"Threw up in my mouth a little not gonna lie."

Adam rolls his eyes and heads towards the door to my (now our) apartment, looking down at the watch on his wrist. "Come on we're going to be late."

"I can't believe you wear his watch." I say, staring at the fancy watch that once belonged to my ex.

"If I remember correctly, you're the one who handed it to me." He replies.

"I didn't expect you to move in with me, did I? I thought you'd take it, leave, and then get arrested somewhere along the way."

"I'm offended that you think I'd get caught."

I laugh and push him out of the door, locking up behind me.

It's been exactly one year since Adam threatened to kill me and to be honest nothing has changed.

Nothing other than the fact he's now my boyfriend.

"Why are you in such a hurry? We have 20 minutes to get there." I say as we make our way down the corridor.

"Your mum gives me death glares whenever we're late. God forbid it's her daughter deciding she needs to curl her hair 10 minutes before we have to leave that made us late." He replies, shaking his head as he calls the lift.

"Worth it though, look how sexy my hair is now." I say, flicking my hair over my shoulder.

He leans down to kiss me, "Your hair always looks sexy."

"I guess you're right." I shrug, stepping into the lift and he follows, laughing.

~

"Your mum hates me." Adam says as he locks us into the apartment.

I take off my coat and put my bag on the kitchen counter, "She doesn't hate you."

"Does she know?"

"Does she know what?"

"Does she know what I used to do?"

I shake my head, walking over to where Adam is stood at the door. "Why would you say that? Of course she doesn't know."

He shrugs, not meeting my eyes. "Maybe she recognises me from the drawings on the news."

"They looked nothing like you."

"But maybe she-"

"Adam." I interrupt. "If she even suspected anything she would've spoken to me about it."

"I just don't understand why she doesn't like me." He says, running his fingers through his hair and turning away from me.

"Why do you care so much about whether or not she likes you?" I ask, watching him as he sits on the couch, resting his head on his hands.

"Because she's your mum."

I kneel in front of him and remove his hands from his face.

"So?"

"So, I want your family to approve of me." He rests his forehead on mine. "I love you, Heather. And you love your family." His hand cups my cheek, "So I need them to approve of me."

"Adam." I cover his hand with mine. "I love you, and it wouldn't matter to me whether they approved of you or not, but my mum loves you."

He scoffs and pulls away. "Yeah, sure."

I smile and look up at him.

"What?" He questions.

"She never shuts up about you. I mean, every time she calls me she asks about you. Sometimes before she's even asked about me."

"But at dinner-"

"At dinner she's pretending. She doesn't want to admit how quickly you've won her over. She doesn't want you thinking too highly of yourself." I say, laughing.

"You're not lying to make me feel better?"

"I'm not lying to make you feel better."

"You promise?"

I grab his hands and pull him up to stand, wrapping my arms around his waist. "I promise."