02 - The Three Musketeers & The Girl

Lorenzo

New York, U.S.

Six years ago, my uncle and his family were shot in their house. They died immediately. Two lovely parents, one sweet boy, and one little girl. They died because I trusted the wrong person to look out for them. They died because of me and I could never forgive myself for what happened.

That was one of the reasons I moved to New York, even if temporarily. I couldn't stay in Seville, being reminded of the ugly incident that took the lives of my second family. Their dead bodies still haunt me when I close my eyes. I haven't slept well since then.

I take a deep breath before lifting the glass of whiskey to my lips and taking a sip. I am not an alcoholic, yet I was going to be one if it weren't for my friends. My two best friends, Johnny and Sam, have been there for me. They came with me to New York and never left my side since then. If it wasn't for them, I'd be long dead.

"Here you are," Sam says, walking into my office with a file in his hand.

"What's that?" I ask, placing the cup on my desk and taking the file from him.

"This is our final project for the company before we travel to Spain, my brother."

I hum as I skim through the file, already feeling bored.

"I don't like it."

"Are you sure? This will help the company a lot," he points out as he sits on the chair.

"I am sure, Sam. Where's Johnny?" I ask.

He sighs and skims his hands through his light brown hair. He looks frustrated as he tries to come out with an answer...or a lie.

"Where is he, Sam?" I ask again, impatiently this time.

"Don't get mad, but uh...he's...at the hospital."

"Why? Is something wrong with him?" I ask with concern, but from the looks of it, Johnny is well and healthy because Sam seems calm.

"He's...well, don't be mad but—"

"For god's sake, Sam, just tell me!"

"He got a girl pregnant and now they are at the hospital to confirm if the baby's his."

Oh, god, not again...

This happened twice before and both times, the girl thought it was his, but it wasn't. He got away with it, but I don't think he would this time.

"I know what you're thinking, but I am sure it's a false alarm, just like always—" Sam says just in time as Johnny comes in.

"I am going to be a father!" Johnny excitedly says as he throws both of his arms in the air like a little kid.

I don't say anything at first as Sam takes the lead. "Please tell me the girl is nice."

"Meh," Johnny replies.

"Get yourself together!" I yell. "What are you going to do about it?" I ask.

This seems to get him out of his bubble and think for once.

"Take responsibility I guess?"

"I am not talking about that, you dumb. I am talking about the mafia, Spain, everything!" I exclaim.

Fuck, a kid in the equation is no good, at least not right now. I need him by my side when shit goes south.

"That's not going to be a problem, don't worry. Cassie knows about me traveling to Spain and she agreed to come with me."