of strangers and panic

stay far away from me
for I cannot seem
to keep my guards up
when you look at me

M A D D I E

I've been pacing back in fort in my cell now. I tried to escape, believe me, I did, but whenever I touched the bars that imprisoned me, the metal burned my hands and the pain would linger. Nonetheless, I still tried to kick it down.

I can't stay here, I have to go back to where everyone else.

And plus, there's that strange man that my wolf called mate. I've heard about mates, I've heard that they were supposed to be your soulmates, someone that the moon goddess destined for you. I never believed in them, but when I met that man the other day... I don't know.

His smell still lingered in the air and although faint, it was enough to drive me crazy. The longer I smelled it, the more I wanted. I knew it belonged to him, I just do.

And the way he looked at me, I felt like he was scrutinizing my every move, I felt like he could see right through me and I hated it.

It was dangerous, he was dangerous. I don't even know him, yet how can he make me feel like this?

This is all nonsensical.

My stomach growled and I feel my head spinning lightly again. Ever since they brought me here three days ago, I refused to touch the food that they brought. Not to mention, I've been hurting myself by trying to escape from this place.

I tried to kick the bars again and at the contact, my skin burned. I hissed from the pain, but I kept trying. And then I hear it. From afar, keys dangled as doors opened.

It's him.

His smell invaded the cells as he walked nearer, he was with someone. The guard that usually brought me food.

Finally, I see him. His hazel eyes seemed to sparkle as the sunlight hit his face from the small window outside my cell. He stared at me, coldly and seriously. Of course I won't let him beat me, I stared back with the most hateful look I could transmit. Although truthfully, I am only trying my best to stay standing because if not, my legs would have already given up and collapsed.

My wolf who hadn't talked to me for days finally showed herself in the back of my mind, I ignored her though. She wasn't the only one allowed to give the cold treatment.

"Leave us." the dangerous man said. The guard nodded and turned back to leave. He waited until the door was closed when he took a chair and sat down. He held his hands together, putting it in front of his face as he stared at me.

I could see that he was thinking. Probably thinking what kind of death sentence he would be giving me, but I didn't care. I won't die in the hands of pack wolves, absolutely no way. If I am to die, I deserve to die in a more dignified way.

But as his scent filled my nostrils and as I stared in his eyes, I could feel something in me being treacherous as I notice that my guards are naturally going down.

I shook my head quickly. Maddie, he's our enemy, get a grip of yourself.

"From which pack did you belong to before?" he asked after a long while. His voice was a deep baritone that sent shivers down my spine. Every word he spoke held out natural authority like he was so used to it. He's a high-ranking wolf, that's for sure. A Gamma? Beta? Which one is it.