Mango

Meri Radhe,

If I write with my baansuri, then you don't even write. You just take your heart out on a platter and send it to me. And then you ask me to keep these letters safe? So now what kind of a total fool does not cherish the only thing in the world that is truly his?

There's one thing both of us are equally eager for. Even I wish you could see yourself through my eyes. Then you would know exactly why I play my flute and exactly what makes people love me so much. In fact, you might be surprised to know this, but all of those milkmaids love you as much as they love me. There's a reason why they always keep flocking around you. They want to be around you, for you are the human form of the music they hear my flute playing. It is Radha's Krishna that all of them are so crazy about, and Kanha's Radhe that leaves them spellbound.

A bit of a confession here, I love it when you come over and help Maiyya out. She probably adores you more than she has ever loved me, but I'll manage with that. Because the makkhani smile that she gives on seeing you lights up our house and makes my heart so full! As much as I love her, I know I've given her a ton of complaints and tears both. In you, she probably sees the antidote of me, the perfect daughter she never had. However, one little side effect of your visits is this – the whole day is spent in Dau and Maiyya joining hands in teasing me about constantly being all smiles and all red in your presence. That is obviously a totally baseless allegation, but takes up the whole of my strength to counter!

And you know, Maiyya is still easy to convince. To respond to Dau's taunts and sarcastic remarks is a different game altogether. Kya karein, he knows me inside out. And he cares for me more than I've ever cared for myself all my life. So by default, for you too. He is the one who keeps asking me if I met you, if you're alright, if you might be hurt seeing the gopis talking about me, whether I made kheer for you and god knows what all! Most importantly, he's the one taking all complaints/sticks/punishments coming my way on himself. You must see him fumbling for the right words in my defense, he looks like the cutest thing on this planet. All I do is pull his cheeks and walk away, while he explains to my dear parents what an innocent little boy I am.

Sometimes I wonder what good deeds I did to have tasted so much of love in all forms of it, so early in life. Perhaps the almighty knows I'll need it later, to cling on to. I don't say it often, Radhe, but I wish time could stop on some days, in some places. There's so much to do and so little time. So much to live and so short a life!

Anyways, it is absolutely unlike me to end on a gloomy note. And we might as well squeeze the juiciest moments out of this tiny mango called life while we can. Holi is round the corner and it is on us – the radiant youth of Vrindavan to make sure it has all the right colours. See you tonight, we have lots of important stuff to discuss and fight over. I'll keep your kheer ready, complete with the Kanha-special garnish!

Your personal chef,

Kanha.