With loves comes pain,

But with pain comes strength.

That was the only thing holding Ameera together.

Growing up, Ameera and her family weren't very religious. Sure she celebrated Eid, fasted during Ramadan, read the Quran once, but she didn't pray five times a day. She didn't wear a Hijab. She didn't wear clothes that hid her physique.

Maybe that's why Allah is punishing me.

Ameera was known to be the adventurous, sassy, intelligent girl. She wouldn't reject adventure. She loved the thrill of it. She was known for her bravery in school.

Her parents had moved to America before Ameera's older sister, Maham was born. She was born and raised here.

When she met Hashir at a family gathering, she thought he was very boring. He was quiet, calculating, and expressionless. Everything Ameera wasn't. Maybe opposites do attract.

If you had told her she would fall heads over heels for Hashir, she'd laugh her brains out. But slowly as time went by, she couldn't help but fall for him.

Hashir had always been a quiet person. Even as a child, he would keep to himself. Not that there was anything wrong with him or something, he just preferred to be alone. He thought that Ameera was nothing but obnoxious. They were as different as fire and water. But water helps calm the flames of fire. Over time she became his.

His Meeru.

"Mama, mai bilkool teek hoon," Ameera Rolf her mom over the phone.

(Mama, I'm absolutely fine)

"Lekin tum dohno humay milnay bi nahi athay. Allah janay kaha gum ho," Ameera's mother complained like a five year old.

(But you two never come to visit. God knows where you two have been)

"We are here, mama," she sighed.

"Dehko Ameera, it's been five months beta," her mother said softly over the phone.

(Look Ameera)

Ameera froze, "Mama, I just remembered I have to pray namaz, Khuda Hafiz," she didn't bother waiting for her mom to reply and ended the phone call. She put the phone down and let out a shaky breath.

(Pray; may god protect you)

Had it really been five months already?

Shaking her head, Ameera got up and started to pray. After prayer, she held her hands up and made dua. Her dua was the same everyday. By the end of her dua she would be in tears.

That's what life is I guess.

The beeping of the fire alarm could be heard in every corner of the house. The thick, gray smoke enveloped the kitchen.