・Second Traitor・(PART ONE)

Continue from the last chapter

Why did this happen?

We were all friends and laughing together.

Why?

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

Flashback

"Class, may I have your attention please?"

I was focusing on... admiring Shimada, until sensei got my attention. I turn towards the front of the room and right there beside him... was a girl with short rose hair. A timid smile was on her face as she takes in the view of her new classmates.

We waited for her to introduce herself, but she kept on staring at the ground. The teacher tapped her on the shoulder and she immediately snapped back into reality. She opened her red backpack and take out a notebook. I was resting my head on my hand as the whole class watched curiously.

My name is Shouko Nishimiya.

Please use this notebook to communicate with me!

I'm deaf.

After everybody read that word, they all broke up into a whispering frenzy. Some even gasped. I was familiar with the word deaf. I wanted to be Nishimiya's first friend. I smiled to myself as I gazed upon her.

"That's so weird!" Ishida burst out.

And that's how it all started...

Each week that passes by, the class struggles to accept Nishimiya's disability and it came to the point where Ishida had to do something about it. He would "joke" around with her, but to me, my gut tells me, it's straight-up bullying.

"Ishida, you should knock it off!" I scolded him as he wrote a horrible message on the board. Shimada and Hirose was also joining Ishida. I stared at them in disbelief. "Come on guys! It's not Nishimiya's fault Sahara transferred out of school!" I told them, glancing at Ueno. "Don't you think you are being to mean?" Ueno smiled playfully. "Oh come on! I can be even meaner." Ishida chucked the chalk at the board and hopped on the desk. "You are such a jerk." Shimada rested on his hands, also smiling. "Shimada, we can't just let him do that!" I told Shimada. What if Nishimiya read this? This is no way to treat anybody! My anxiety began to skyrocket thinking about Nishimiya's reaction and the guilt sat on my shoulders.

I was about to pick up the eraser, but it was too late. Everybody brought their attention towards the person that walked in. It was Nishimiya.

Her eyes widen a bit as read the message. "Oh no! Who can write such a thing. I will erase it for you so you don't have to see that." Ishida snatched the eraser and start erasing the very same message he wrote. "You're such a jerk!"

I took Nishimiya's hand and led her out of the classroom. Steam was fuming out of my ears as I slammed the door behind me. "What's up with her? Can't she tell it's just a joke?" I heard Ishida's muffled voice. Whatever. It's wrong, it's all wrong! I was still glaring at the door after Ishida's comment, but I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Nishimiya's gentle smile. I took a deep breath and gave her thumbs up. I really need to stop my emotions from messing with me.