Chapter 12

Time to tell the truth to the first human I had ever told it to

My palms were sweating and I could feel my heart racing in my chest at the dive I was about to take into the unknown. The human psyche was an unpredictable thing. I was hoping that Renee would surprise me in her reaction; maybe she wouldn't run in fear screaming about insanity.

I knew the risks were high and if I was to consult a betting shop I was almost certain that they would place the odds of her understanding, as a far outside chance.

But there was something in me that compelled me to trust this woman and bet on the unlikely. Even if the price I may have to pay could end up being my life and the way it was now.

"Renee, can you believe that there are things in this world that can't be explained? That science cannot tell us everything about this world?" Renee looked in shock at my heavy words and she eased herself onto the bed with her hand locked in Bella's as she sat beside the crib.

"I think so" I couldn't think about the uncertainty in her voice. If I did I would back out of my decision.

I knew it had consequences if I told her but I couldn't find a way of creating a story that would explain everything.

I was tired. I was only a child and I wanted to have a moment when I didn't have to be an adult. I wanted to be naive and believe for one second that I could spill everything and it would be alright. That the adult in the room would pat me on the back and tell me everything would be fine.

Renee was sitting impatiently on her bed, her foot tapping wildly on the floor.

"Renee, I'm going to tell you my story but I need you to promise me something first. You cannot tell a soul. I have to trust that you will keep this to yourself no matter what." I was almost willing her to with my eyes. The need for secrecy burning through my irises.

Her eyes dazed over and she nodded silently.

"My parents really did die 3 years ago now. I was 9 years old and in my time there was nothing that could be done for a child that age. The orphanage was the only option. I lost everything except this locket" I stroked the locket that still lay on my chest just below the fabric shield of my t shirt.

"What do you mean your time?" Renee was already confused and the story had only just begun.

"Remember the promise you have made Renee." I sighed closing my eyes to prepare myself for the first onslaught of questions.

"I was born 13th October 1901 in London England. My father was an accountant and he gave me and my mother the best life we could have wanted. Then when they died I lost everything I had known in my life. Even time itself." I could remember that night so clearly. The extreme tension in me and the feeling of drowning in time itself.

"It's not possible! Your just 12 years old. 1910 is 79 years in the past! You must be mixing up the dates. There is no way. No way!" Renee was pacing the room and I could hear Bella becoming anxious, her soft whimpers at the noise her mother was making.