Chapter 42

The population of Chicago was in turmoil, no longer was the war the reigning headline

The population of Chicago was in turmoil, no longer was the war the reigning headline. Spanish Influenza had hit and it hit hard. I expected, like many diseases, that it would creep like death itself. That it would be stealthy and sweeping, going unnoticed by those around them until it was too late. For some it was the case but enough notice was taken for people to start to register what was happening and warnings to be put out.

Of course those warnings didn't hold much pull on the society that preferred to mix and mingle than stay home and wait for illness to strike.

People were more careful but careful wouldn't be enough. I knew that.

Edward went with me everywhere, that was when he didn't insist on us staying inside. He had even asked his parents to allow me to stay at their home so that it limited the amount of time I was out walking amongst the possible sickness. It was his overreaction but I didn't mind it to an extent, it showed he cared. That was all I could ask for after I released the shock of our night at the park on him.

After that night we changed. Our hands found each others in moments of privacy, entwining our fingers under tables or brushing our feet as we dined. We shared fleeting glances and whispered conversations. We were no longer dancing the line between friendship and love. We were somewhere in no man's land, where what we had didn't need to be named. It was easy and peaceful and when Isabel asked me to dish the dirt I merely smiled a tranquil smile and replied 'we're an enigma and I'm not planning on solving it anytime soon.' I didn't feel like I was living in complexity. I slept soundly in my bed each night knowing I would see Edward in the morning, but also knowing my heart was still safely in my grasp. I hadn't given it to him and he didn't ask me for it.

I smiled as I thought back over the past two weeks since I laid my broken self out to Edward. Tonight was the valentine ball that we were attending as a group.

I fastened my locket around my neck and spritzed my pulse points with the French perfume Edward had bought me last week.

Once I did a final check in the mirror I shut my bedroom door behind me and went to descend the stairs.

I could see Edward standing away from his parents looking up at me as I eased myself down each step. My heels were a little higher than usual but I wanted to look nice tonight. Since it was Valentine's I was to be officially be Edward's date for the evening and as I held that role I wanted to do it justice.

As I moved my feet towards him it felt like my heartbeat was reverberating through my body, my own marching drum to walk to. He was so much like my vampire yet so different. The difference was good, it stopped me from reminiscing and craving the life I had with my vampire. Like his vampire self, he still looked good in a suit, and his posture was just as proud and refined, although it did lack some of the strength and inhuman grace. I didn't care. My heart still fluttered when his emerald eyes settled on my figure just as it did when his amber gaze would blaze over my skin.