Chapter 25

The lively tunes of 'Hound dog' played through the air as Alice buzzed happily around me

The lively tunes of 'Hound dog' played through the air as Alice buzzed happily around me. Edward was taking me out tonight for our first official date in town for Valentine's Day. We hadn't exactly been on dates but perhaps that was because we were already so far past dating. As soon as Alice found out she had bombarded me with her enthusiasm to play stylist. She had already cleaned, buffed, rinsed, polished and powdered me until my skin felt silky smooth and smelt of a heavenly mix of Jasmine and honeysuckle. Now I was blissfully situated in her dusky pink velvet vanity chair while she straightened out my waves with a hairdryer.

I wasn't sure how long my hair would stay in its sleek state before it stubbornly went back into waves, but I hoped it would last the night.

"Has Edward told you where he's taking you yet?" Alice asked as she gathered my chest length hair and fixed it in a high ponytail, leaving tendrils to sweep my face with my side swept bangs.

"Not yet, but I'm sure you already know." I grinned at Alice in the mirror and her eyes twinkled with mischief.

"Maybe." She winked and spun me to face her, my hair fanning out as she did.

"But you're not going to tell me are you?" I lifted my eyes to the ceiling as she layered on long sweeps of mascara.

"Nope." She popped the 'p' and gave me an innocent smile as she moved onto dabbing rosy pink lipstick on my lips.

"I thought best friends told each other everything." I pouted in the same way she often did when she wanted something, but she only giggled and bounced into her vast closet.

I had never known anyone to have such a thirst for shopping as Alice did. Her wardrobe was in a constant state of change. In fact, I doubted clothes stayed in there for more than a week at a time.

"That is true... But Edward has sworn me to secrecy. My favourite boots are in danger if I spill the beans." Alice stared longingly at her patent black leather boots with the stiletto heels. I couldn't believe how she could walk in them but then again she was a vampire, and an extremely graceful one at that.

"We certainly can't sacrifice the boots."Alice giggled in agreement and with a flourished movement she produced my outfit for the evening.

It was a dark blue poodle skirt that would swing around my knees and a fitted white silk blouse. When I slipped them over my body and stood in the mirror it was hard not to smile. The skirt nipped in at my petite waist and the blouse, although modest, hinted at my developing cleavage, giving me an hourglass figure I hadn't realised I had.

"Are you doing anything with Jasper tonight? It is Valentine's Day, after all." I asked Alice as I shimmied into my outfit.

"We're going to a little cottage we own up in the mountains." Alice's face was animated with the anticipation of her time alone with her husband.

"Hunting?" I quirked an eyebrow because being in this house so much gave one more than just an insight into the world of 'intimate relations.' It didn't bother me as such but it had been a shock at first. It was certainly a little awkward at first when Edward had been beside me; we had quickly escaped to my little home.