Chapter 36

After my meeting with Edward Masen, I felt the crack that had been created open further with every passing day

After my meeting with Edward Masen, I felt the crack that had been created open further with every passing day. Each morning I woke to find the fissure had crept across my numb state and widened the vulnerable gap of raw emotion. It allowed the emotions, which sat restrained under the cold exterior, to seep to the surface. I could feel myself starting to thaw out and it scared me more than anything. I was comfortable with the state of blank emotion, and I wasn't sure if I could cope with returning to a state of mind where I could feel again.

The first night after meeting Edward I felt a single tear slide down my cheek, it's heat searing down through the cold of me and reaching for the warm humanity that I had beaten down. As the droplet slipped over my skin I felt it beckon my memories and emotions to the forefront, to the surface, and I found I had no energy to battle them back. Instead I bathed in them. I welcomed every single one, both negative and otherwise, to play through me and release whatever reaction they came with. It was no surprise to me that the single tear multiplied to more, but what was surprising was the fact that they healed rather than hurt. It felt good to feel the anger, resentment, despair because it was something to feel.

Once the sadness had washed over me I found myself turning to laughter, almost hysterical in its force. It wasn't brought on by lunacy, or fear. Instead it burst from me purely because of fate's plan, simply because I saw him. The moment I had turned around and seen him looking at me, I felt as if I could burst at the seams from joy, no matter what time had shown. I had enjoyed seeing him, being near him, watching his small quirks, quiet shyness, and curiosity. For a fleeting second I was able to see him, not as the man I had loved and lost to another, but as a person I had known and hadn't expected to see in a while. I had laughed at the pure coincidence of it all. Of all the music stores, of all the places, where I could have bumped into him or times I could have visited his home, it happened when I was at my most vulnerable and receptive. I had to share a smile at fate's choice. It chose it's moment so well because it was a moment when I couldn't do anything to stop him getting under my skin.

Eventually the laughter had died down, and I had curled up on my plush red bed. I should have known that first night would be the first breakthrough of emotion through my icy depths because since that day my demeanour altered day by day.

I found myself waking the day with vigour and promise rather than apathy. I would offer the receptionist a small smile and a wave as I passed rather than my previous stern nod. I would walk the streets with curiosity and interest rather than a steely, unseeing stare. I walked for fun and discovery rather than mere exercise. I still hadn't gotten to the point of wanting to invite anyone into my life, and I didn't engage in conversation easily, but neither did I return comments with a cool glare.

I wasn't anywhere near my old self, but I could feel the ice queen starting to melt away bit by bit.

Still, I refused to seek out Edward or the Masens, and I refused to hope or dream. I lived and that was it. I did not wish upon the first star at night, and I didn't pick up pennies from the street hoping for good luck during the day. I held no room in my heart for anything other than what was already there and if fate should choose to lead me to the Masens then I would accept such a thing graciously without running, but I wouldn't run to them without cause.