Chapter 39

I pulled my blue coat around me a little tighter as a soft wind blew around me

I pulled my blue coat around me a little tighter as a soft wind blew around me. The dusky light was starting to fade, and I knew I couldn't stand out on this doorstep all night. No matter how much my nerves would like me to.

"Miss, are you going to be going inside? It's just I'm needed back at the hotel!" my driver called as he stood by the roadside. He was stood huffing his breath into his hands in a hope to fight the cold.

"No you go ahead," I answered and smoothed my dove grey dress for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"I'll be fine," I murmured as I took a deep breath and reached to rap on the knocker. It hadn't changed since I last stood in front of it. The door was still large and solid, matching the safety and security the house inside always offered me. It had been nearly three years since I had stood in front of it. Unless you counted the several times I had wandered down the street when I arrived here those few darks weeks ago. Those days when I would wander through town, just a shell, wondering if that day would be the day I knocked on the Masens' door and settled back into that simple way of life I had always had with them.

Now, although I still felt nerves, I no longer felt fear of what their presence in my life could bring. I already knew of Edward...and I had already dealt with the way he was making me feel. There was nothing left to worry about. Apart from what story I was going to tell Elizabeth and Edward Senior - again.

The door opened with a short creak and my face was bathed in the warm glow of light coming from inside.

"Good evening, Miss. Mr and Mrs Masen are waiting for you in the living room, if you'd like to follow me," a woman in a white and black maid's uniform said as she greeted me with a quiet smile and respectful grey eyes.

"Thank you," I said quietly as I started to pull off my coat, revealing my newly bought dress. It was a simple empire cut, with a scooped neckline, and a flowing skirt that fell to the floor. No frills or flouncy pieces of material.

"May I take that for you?" the maid asked as she offered her hands.

"Oh yes, certainly." I bumbled as I laid the coat in her hands. My eyes were soaking up the hallway that I somehow knew so well. Perhaps it was because it resembled my first home back in England, or maybe it was because it was my first place of refuge after Carlisle's death and my second jump. Whatever it was, there was something about the house that filled me with a sense of belonging. A sense of home.

I dragged my hands along the banister on the stairway, feeling the way the polish caused my hands to slip over the wood. It had been smoothed to perfection over the many years of inhabitants running their hands over it. The whole house showed the signs of holding life inside it. It wasn't worn or dilapidated, it was just lived in.

I sighed as I rounded the corner, heading towards the sounds of chatter and clinking glasses. The maid went in ahead of me, and I could faintly make out the crunching of fabric as bodies turned.