Chapter 37

My dress was the purest ivory as it sheathed my slim frame

My dress was the purest ivory as it sheathed my slim frame. It trailed with elegance to skim the floor. The flimsy layers of white satin and silk dripped off my body, falling in a column from my waist giving the dress an ethereal appeal. The waist pulled in tight and the neck scooped in a soft V, revealing a tempting expanse of my creamy skin. The dress was modest almost to the point of innocence, but that was my intention, for tonight was the Halloween ball. It was a masked event that I had been invited to by a patron of the hotel. It seemed my elusive demeanour had only raised interest rather than dispelling it.

As most Halloween events seemed to do, this ball was the chance to dress up in a disguise of sorts. A single night when you could pretend to be something you're not, or act in a way you wouldn't usually. I had chosen to be an Angel; although I certainly didn't think myself to be in anyway angelic. My choice was more a tribute to Edward's pet name for me. I had purchased the dress, new skin toned shoes, and a mask adorned with pearls, ribbon, and glittering crystals. It was all in tones of silver and cream and sat on the top half of my face, revealing only my eyes and lower features.

I wasn't particularly excited when I first received the invite to the ball; however my disposition had become more and more anxious as the evening neared. I had never been to a ball before, and the only insight into them was through hearing my mother talk about them. I felt almost jittery at the idea of attending one myself. It was due to this excitement that I took the time to dress myself nicely, layering my eyelashes with black mascara and dabbing a faint dot of sparkling nude eye shadow on the inner lids. I slicked on some of my cherry flavour lip balm and pinched my cheeks to add colour to my face. I had already washed my hair and allowed it to dry into its usual tumbling waves before pining it in a delicate twist low on my head. My front layers still fell around my face, and tendrils slipped from the pearl clips to soften the style. All in all I was pleased with my first true attempt at dressing for a social event and I looked forward to the experience, whatever it may bring.

I hadn't yet thought of the finer details concerning my story for the night, I only knew I would have to have one. I had managed to stay in the hotel without too many questions being asked, although I was well aware of the gossip and speculation circling around me. As long as I paid for my stay then there were no qualms over why I was alone or why my guardian was absent. Tonight, however, would be a different matter. It was very odd for a girl my age to be invited to an event like this alone, and especially odd that I wouldn't be arriving with anyone, or be with anyone throughout the night. I just hoped I could deflect and queries well enough for them to be dropped. Perhaps when I got there I could find some common ground with someone and not spend the night completely alone.

I sighed as a knock at my door sounded through the otherwise silent room. I opened the door and smiled gently at the suited man before me, his head bowed in respect.

"Your carriage is here, ma'am." I chuckled at his term of respect and the man's eye's looked up briefly. I noticed him doing a double take but didn't embarrass him by bringing it up. Instead I silently stepped out the door with my invitation in hand and my mask secured on my face.