Chapter 29: Alone & Afraid

Karai shuts off the phone in her hand, glancing at the blank screen before turning around to where Destiny is slumped against a nearby wall, her arms lifted into the air and secured with weighted chains. Her ankles are also chained to the wall.

"Destiny, wake up," Karai orders, walking closer and nudging the girl with her foot. "Wake up."

Destiny opens her eyes, her entire body trembling as strained breaths leave her chapped lips. She's wearing only a tank top on her top half, exposing her arms to the nipping air of the cell, and the sweatpants that she borrowed from April are absent.

Karai raises her hand, instantly causing Destiny to flinch. Karai halts, waiting as the exhausted mutant slowly raises her head as if her hair is too heavy to support. Every movement is slow and rough, from the lifting of her head to the twitching of her fingers.

Her wild green eyes meet Karai's brown ones, but they're hazy and unfocused.

"Why are you doing this?" she croaks.

Karai's face shows no emotion. "You're a piece in his plan, and that's all you need to know."

A low growl escapes Destiny and she gives a weak tug against the chains securing her to the wall. She attempts to change into her giant wolf, but she hardly manages to sprout a patch of black fur before she slumps into exhaustion again. Karai watches the pitiful sight for another second before she snaps her fingers. Two Foot bots appear at the cell entrance with a bucket full of water held between them.

They dump the water over Destiny, instantly jerking her awake as she chokes and struggles to catch her breath. She blinks rapidly as water invades her eyelids and lashes, her entire body tensing up as her eyes go wide. She knows what's coming.

Karai leans down, staring her in the face. "Shredder could let you go if you just help him out," she says, making her voice soft and almost kind. "You could tell us where Splinter is."

Destiny doesn't say a word. Karai sighs and snaps her fingers together again, causing an instant jolt of electricity to rocket through Destiny's entire body. She screams, feeling as though her bones are rattling and her brain is frying.

It stops and she falls limp as her energy is leeched away. Her chest still lifts with her breaths, but they're fewer and shallower. She lets out a soft sob, her sopping curls clinging to her clammy face as she trembles. The scent of burnt fur fills the cell as she closes her eyes, wishing she would be allowed to sleep.

"You're making this harder than it has to be," Karai says.

Destiny's fanged teeth remain gritted. "I'll n-never join you," she chokes, throat raw.

Karai scowls. She produces a small knife from her belt, handing it off to the nearest Foot bot. She gestures towards Destiny, sending the bot on its way. Destiny thrashes and tries to back away, but finds only cold stone behind and all around her. The bot presses the blade to a soft spot on her wrist, waiting for the order.

Karai meets her gaze, clicking her tongue in a scolding manner. She turns away, folding her hands behind her back.

"Wrong answer."

-----------

"Right here!"

Diaval looks up from his rooftop seat, watching as a vehicle the size of a subway car comes screeching to a halt outside an alleyway. The Foot Clan archer stands, making sure to stay far from the edge as he grips his bow tighter. The doors of the vehicle open with a small dinging sound.