Chapter 34: Scars

Destiny wakes to find herself back in her room, tucked in, alone. She exhales and rolls onto her back, stretching her arms out until her fists touch the wall. A doglike whining sound escapes her as she does the same with her legs.

She sits up to see a bowl of some kind of soup waiting on her bedside table, tendrils of steam still rising from the liquid. There's a slice of toast and a glass of water accompanying it.

She reaches out and takes the spoon, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed and leaning over the bowl. She takes a tiny bit of the soup and puts it to her mouth, swallowing it. Her face instantly scrunches up as the odd flavour of chicken noodle soup, cheese, and some sort of tomato sauce mingles on her tongue. She feels like this sort of thing is something she'd be repulsed by, but she finds it oddly delicious and takes another spoonful.

Soon, her food is done and she heads off to the bathroom to shower and clean herself up, remembering what April said about personal hygiene being important.

Inside the bathroom, she sits down on the closed toilet and stares at her bandages. A sick feeling twists her stomach as she reaches for the end of the pinned down cloth, but she swallows it back and begins unwrapping.

Her previous action against her upset stomach doesn't help this time. Her arms are crisscrossed everywhere with thin lacerations, most of them already pink-rimmed and starting to scab over. She can't take her eyes off them, disgust making her feel flashes of utter rage and complete, crushing sorrow.

She shakes her head rapidly as tears well up in her eyes, forcing herself to her feet and pressing the heels of her hands to her eyes as she takes deep breaths. There's a tingling, knotted feeling traversing her entire torso and chest, making her want to go back to Foot Headquarters simply to beat all of them senseless.

She drops her hands from her eyes and takes another deep breath. She disrobes and gets into the shower, reaching for the nozzle and turning it.

A jet of cold water hits her. Her entire body seizes up and she lets out a cry as she collapses into the tub, knocking over numerous bottles and shutting the water off with a jerking movement of her hand.

She pants, shivering and hugging herself tightly as she gulps back whimpering sobs. No electricity, she tells herself over and over. There's no electricity. This is a shower. It's helpful. It makes you clean.

There's a knock at the door that makes her go completely silent.

"Des? You okay in there?" Raphael asks.

"I'm fine!" Destiny retorts, being a little louder than she needs to be accidentally.

There's a pause from the turtle on the other side of the door. "You sure? 'Cause you screamed and then we heard crashing—"

"I told you, I'm fine!" she snaps. "Just go!"

"Okay...okay..." he mutters.

She listens as he walks away. Once he's far enough away for her, she shakily gets back to her feet and climbs out of the tub. She stares at the nozzle, steeling herself as she picks up the fallen bottles and puts them back on the correct ledges.

"I'm not going to let those jerks ruin showering for me," she says under her breath. "I can do this...no electricity. Deep breaths."