Chapter 25: Sleeping Next To Kongpob

Who the hell put a tracking device in mom's car?
Arthit's POV

"Arthit, is something wrong with your car?" Kong was still standing next to me, waiting for answers, I just didn't know what to to tell him.

"You don't have to worry about it" I try to leave but Kong pulls my hand.

"Is there anything I can help you with?"

I had a million things going on in my head and I couldn't handle Kongpob's piercing eyes looking straight into me. So, I pushed him away instead. "I can handle things by myself just fine. You are going to leave me too anyway. So, what's the point of asking for your help? I need go meet mom"

Before Kongpob could say anything else, I walked out of college. He looked disappointed in me and I was even more disappointed in myself. But I just didn't know how to handle all the emotions in me anymore.

···

I went back home to check up on mom and have dinner with her. She was doing much better than before. Luckily, dad hadn't returned yet. But I had no idea whether he was still in the country or not.

He could come back anytime and there would be nothing I could do to keep him away from the house, or mom. Sure, I had bluffed about his mistress. I know she was somewhere in Macau, but I didn't even know her full name or her address.

As I was leaving the house, I met Uncle Thipat.

"Arthit, how are you holding up? Why don't you just stay at home only?

"No Uncle. I — I have some college work I need to get done."

"About your dad, Arthit..I heard all the conversation yesterday, and honestly, I am not surprised."

"Did you know about all this?"

"Not really, but your Uncle Lam had been telling your mom about this for years. Though she never believed him. He kept telling your mom that your dad was cheating on her and siphoning money from the company, which is why your dad forced her to cut all ties with Lam"

"Is that why Uncle Lam stopped coming home? I haven't seen him in years. I thought he was just busy"

"No of course not. He was never too busy for you or your mother. He might be your mom's cousin, but they were like siblings. Arthit, I think you should ask him for help."

"May be he was right about dad, but I am not sure if Uncle Lam would even talk to me now"

"Of course he would Arthit. He loved you like his own son. Just give him a call. I'll send you his number. You are too young to deal with all of this, and I don't even want you to handle all this by yourself while managing your college and taking care of your mom. It is all too much for a 21-year old to handle."

I took a deep breath. It was getting too much for me to handle, indeed. "I will think about it Uncle Thipat. I'll come by tomorrow again to check up on mom. Bye"

···

As soon as I opened the door to my apartment, my anxiety started setting in again. I could feel the chest pain increasing by every second and I didn't know how to stop it.

I closed all the windows of the house to because I was feeling suffocated and decided to endure through it. With some noodles, I sat on the floor of the living room — right in front of the door. I was still waiting for Kongpob to come back to the apartment, hoping he would somehow make his way back to me. Though in the back of my mind, I knew he wasn't coming -- but my heart just wouldn't listen.

It was around midnight when my anxiety got too bad to handle, which is when I decided to leave the house to take a walk. And just like last night, I found myself in the college dorms again —at Kongpob's door.

Would he even talk to me? I was so rude to him today.

With no hopes at all, I knocked on Kong's door.

He opened up the door and smiled at me. "I was hoping it was you."

"Can — Can I sleep here?"

"Of course"

I went inside and Kongpob closed the door. "Do you want to change into something else or sleep in your clothes?"

"No, I want to wear your clothes"

"Okay, I'll take out some clothes for you. Take a shower in fact, you'll sleep better.

Did you have dinner? Do you want to eat something?"

"No. I had dinner with mom today. I'll go change"

By the time I took a shower and came out, Kong was already sleeping. When I lied down next to him on the bed, he turned towards me and hugged me tightly.

"I know you are going through a lot Arthit, I can see it in your eyes. Just know that I am always here for you."

"Why did you let me in, Kong? Don't you hate me for being rude to you?"Kongpob looked up, straight into my eyes. "Arthit, I could never hate you. I know the person I met in the morning, the whole head hazer persona, isn't really you.

You can pretend to hide all your emotions in front of the rest of the world, if you want. But I just hope I make you feel comfortable enough for you to 'just be you' around me."

I could feel the tears forming up in my eyes. So, instead of saying anything, I just hugged Kongpob tightly.

"And you forgot the extra keys to my dorm that I gave you yesterday. They are on the bedside table. Don't lose them again. Okay?"

"Hmmm"

I went to sleep in just a few minutes. Sleeping next to Kong was the easiest thing in the world, but waking up next to him and leaving him was the most difficult thing ever.

I woke up around 6.30 and changed back into my clothes to go back to my apartment. "Ah, the keys"

···

Just when I reached college, I got a text from Uncle Thipat. He had sent the contact details of Uncle Lam. Honestly, I didn't really know if Uncle Lam would even want to help us. It had been so long since I even saw him, but he was my last hope. He had the connections to get dad away from me and mom.

So, I decided to dial his number and take the plunge.

"Hello? Uncle Lam? This is Arthit. Umm.. your nephew.. Do you remember me by any chance?"

He was laughing. "Of course. I remember my own nephew. I was there in the hospital when you were born Arthit. How are you? How is your mom?"

"We are good. I wanted to meet you actually.... to talk about dad"

His tone suddenly grew serious. "What about him? Did he do something again?"

"Turns out, you were right about dad all along" 

-----

A/N:  What are your thoughts about the new Uncle Lam? Do you think he can help Arthit? Any guesses on how Arthit will tackle his growing anxiety?

I was actually planning to introduce Uncle Lam before the accident, but he plays an important part in the post-accident story. So, I decided to hold it untill this chapter.

Btw, if you are planning to read something new for this weekend I recommend Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. Its a BL book thast has romance between the son of the President of US and the Prince in London. It has contract dating, NDAs, and Snapchat flirting. I read it last night and fell in love with the whole story. It was so cute!