12. DIMINISHING DISTANCE.

The SUV had been occupied by the majority of the Raizadas , leaving Arnav and Khushi to take his sedan.

Arnav and Khushi felt the heat rise in the car with every passing second. They still hadn't completely recovered from the intense moments they'd shared a few minutes ago.

Arnav's phone broke the ice. He reached to fetch his handsfree from his pocket. He couldn't find it. He'd forgotten it , and something like that happened only once in a blue moon

He passed the phone to Khushi saying. "Put the call on speaker."

She obliged.

" Hello , ASR ? " Aman spoke from the other side.

" Yes Aman. Tell me."

"I called to clarify about the text message that you sent. " Aman spoke hesitantly.

" What part of 'Cancel my meetings on Friday. I'm taking the day off ' did you not understand , to clarify ? " Arnav asked in his typical ASR tone.

" So you aren't working on Friday ? " Aman spoke still unable to comprehend the fact.

"What's wrong with you? Just cancel the damn meetings Aman." he huffed.

" Alright." with that Aman hung up sensing his boss's wrath.

" Why aren't you working on Friday? " Khushi asked handing the phone back to him.

" Babuji's treatment begins , so I thought I'll accompany you and Payal." He said with his gaze fixed on the road.

"But why ? Jiji and I will be fine by ourselves. Do you think I won't be able to manage alone?" Khushi asked defiantly.

" Of course not! I know you'll manage by yourself ... " Arnav defended himself.

" Then , Why ? " Khushi retored.

" Like I said Khushi , I just want to be there for you." Arnav said calming himself down. She knew to get on his nerves.

Khushi couldn't argue to that.

" Hey Devi Maiyya !! What happened to this Laad Governor ? Did he bang his head somewhere ?" Khushi murmured to herself. She was still getting used to his 'I'll be there for you' avatar.

" Did you say something ? " He asked.

" I was talking to Devi Maiyya." she simply replied.

Arnav rolled his eyes. He wasn't ever going to understand the bond his wife shared with her Devi Maiyya.

After a few minutes that felt like hours , they finally reached their destination.

Arnav got down first and then helped his wife out. Soon, they were surrounded by clicks and flashes . Khushi hand immediately flew up to protect her eyes from the flickering lights.

"Shit!" Arnav cursed. He'd totally forgotten about the media. He knew how new all this was to Khushi.

His eyes spotted the rest of the Raizadas in a second. His hand securely held her by her waist , pulling her close to him.
He then guided her to their family , effortlessly dodging the media and their questions.

The Raizadas were then welcomed by their hosts.

**************************************

Shyam Jha sneaked into Shantivan after making sure that the house help retreated to their quarter.

This was it he thought. He wasted no time and headed to his Saale Saaheb's room. He fished out the bunch of keys that he'd got made from the carpenter who'd furnished the Raizada house. He had given the excuse of needing spare keys for the closet lockers.