Chapter 03: 20 Months After Release

Chapter 3
20 Months After Release

Four months came to pass and Rex did what was told. His legs healed but his left arm was still in cast. It was shattered severely that the doctors were boggled to the stories of the people who saw his struggle.

He learned of the story of what happened after the explosion. The two of them were the only survivors of the accident. 15 vehicles were involved in the tragedy that was dubbed as the worst in any highway history. The cause was a stray bullet that hit the truck's windshield and in turn hit the truck driver's hand that made the truck turn out its way. The rest was as he had remembered.

After the explosion, he covered for the man who carried his brother. His throat was cut by a piece of metal and it was actually a miracle that he was still able to help his brother escape.

His leg was also a piece of story. Amanda told him that his leg was broken from an engine part hitting it. It was a total miracle that it missed his body and thanks to the media, the videos of how he got totally trashed had explained most of the injuries he had. 

Amanda asked how he received the wounds on his hands. With difficulty, he told her what he did with his hands; cutting the seat belt with the same sharp metal that stabbed his throat.

Hearing those words, Amanda was in total shock.

After that, nurses and med-techs started to pour on his room as they all visited him to see a living legend.

Rex, in turn, never once neglected to visit his brother every day.

He also learned of the man who had helped him escape that time but he never gave any information about himself. He only got minor injuries and was also thankful that Rex risked his own life to save him from that explosion.

Rex created a roar of news one after another. With the help of the hospital staff, the media who wanted to interview him was stopped on their tracks until they all eventually gave up. They knew that it won't help the patient recover and it would only add up to the stress that he already felt.

"I knew you'll be here" Amanda asked and brought a drink to the standing Rex. "Come. It's time to rest."

"Is it?" Rex turned his head. Then he stared back to his sleeping brother. Visiting time is already over and only thanks that they were in the same hospital that he could visit him twice in the same day.

"Yes. How are you feeling?"

Rex reached for his throat. Although there were almost no pain left, what he actually touched was the large scar that was sure to leave a mark in there. 

"Better." He said. "All thanks to you."

Amanda did not hide the blush on her cheeks as she heard the words. She covered his face with the file tray and forgot the medicine packs that were there. In turn, it all fell on the ground and she knelt down to pick it all up. Surprisingly, Rex also helped her.

Their hands touched and she stopped and moved back. But Rex wasn't minding it and she pouted to see his still reaction.

And then from behind, the doctor came and stopped. Rex turned around and saw his face.

"Uncle Faust." He called.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Yes sure." Rex replied and Dr. Faust prompted for him to follow, leaving Amanda with a fleeting glance to his back.

In his office, Rex was reading a set of papers. 

Financial papers, regarding his brother's care. His papers all had the green PASS stamp in their back- ground but his brother only had one of them in their papers. The rest had the red UNPAID in there. But not only that, there were still some papers with information that he did not understand.