Chapter 41

I hear voices around me, but I can't make out the words, or open my eyes for that matter. My brain feels fuzzy and dense.

"....Fane, you got her here..."

I hear somewhere near to me, and everything comes back. Fane and Clarisse in the woods, them kidnapping me.

~Hazel. Hazel? Are you there?~

But I get no reply in the darkness. I try mindlinking Roman, but to no avail. I huff out in frustration and try to pry open my eyes slowly. When I do open them, a blinding light greets me and I try to shield my eyes with my arm, only to find out both my arms are chained behind my back.

"Good morning, sunshine!" I shudder in disgust at the sound of Fane's voice.

"Fane, what do you want?" I rasp out, my throat dry and parched.

I look up to meet his gaze to realise that there's two other men in the room next to Fane. One looks way too familiar...

"I should introduce you to someone, sweetheart. This is Maxen, the sole initiator and the one you can thank."

I look at him, mouth hung open as if he had grown two heads.

"Thank you? Thank you?!?!? You KIDNAPPED me! What the hell is going on? Who the hell are you people?"

The older man, known as Maxen steps forward slowly, then slaps me across my face, leaving a stinging sensation and I'm sure a red mark. I let out a whimper as he slaps me again.

"Do not speak until spoken to, child." He growls lowly. His eyes flash red for a brief moment.

"You are here as a means to start a war." He says calmly.

My breathing catches in my throat as I process what he said.

"Y-you people controlled Jaxon? You are s-starting the war!"

He laughs at me and takes my chin in his hand pulling my head painfully.

"Clever girl, yes. We are starting the war. Fane was able to do something right for once, isn't that right Fane?"

I look at Fane as he starts walking closer to us.

"Well now..." He gets cut off as Maxen turns and punches him in the face, the force cause Fane to fly back a few feet and fall in a heap in the ground.

"Do not speak unless spoken to." Maxen says in the same eerily calm voice. He turns back to me, and I glare at him.

"Where were we dear? Ah yes, Fane's power is manipulating the mind." There was a whimper from Fane. Clearly he has made a mistake in confiding in this man of his gift. I almost felt sorry for him. "When Fane was captured at your pack he was a good distraction from Jaxon who slipped in under Fane's command. Fane escaped by controlling the minds of the guards and then he killed them. Simple. Oh and that cook, what was her name? Paola. Well she was easy to control, woman didn't even put up a fight" The man said as if he was talking of the weather.

I clench my jaw and control my anger at the thought of him being so calm while talking of the death of our pack. Of my pack and of Paola.

"You still haven't explained why I'm here, or while you're giving me these answers in the first place."

He chuckles.

"Well you are here as a declaration of war, and I'm telling you because by the time you get back to your pack, I will kill you."

My blood runs cold. I watch him as he pulls back my hair and looks at my mark.

"He marked you...perfect." He smiles a toothy grin. "Did you mate?"