Chapter 26: Kiss and tell

Chapter twenty-six: Kiss and tell (Ellie's POV)

It was Friday. The whole week I thought, okay, I'll call Isaac today, tell him to meet me at The Brew, explain to him how we can't go out and everything will be fine. But NOPE. I had been prolonging this the whole week, and now I either had to tell him at school before his game, or I had to show up to that date only to ruin it. 

I sighed while walking to the cafeteria, my arm link with Ashley's. "Are you okay? You've been moping around all day," she pointed out. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied. 

Just fine. 

"Isaac!" I called out as we neared the cafeteria. 

He was heading out to the field with some of his friends when I called him. He walked over to me while I told Ashley I'll meet her there. "Hey, what's up?" he asked. 

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I asked. 

"Sure," he said. We stepped to the side and I sighed. What is wrong with me? I'm leaving a guy like Isaac for Zach? 

Isaac is so nice to me, he's so understanding, he's great company, he's so kind... he just doesn't give me butterflies. 

He's the nice guy. I don't want the nice guy. 

Nice guys break your heart the worst, that's what James did anyway. 

"I wanted to talk to you about tonight's date," I started. 

"Do you wanna do it tomorrow? We could go to the party instead," he shrugged. 

"No, I um- I don't wanna do it at all," I said while fidgeting with my hands. 

"Oh," he said. 

"I'm just a little confused and I don't uh- I don't wanna lead you on. I just thought it would be better if you hear it from me and you hear it now. Sooner is better than later. I am so, so sorry." I feel like shit. 

"That's okay, I just- you're confused between me and someone else?" he asked. I nodded slowly. "You're confused between me and Zach, aren't you?" he asked knowingly. 

"How did you..." I trailed off. 

"It's kind of obvious. He likes you, you like him. It's all right, I get it," he shrugged. 

"He doesn't like me," I chuckled, "But I don't want to lie to you and say that I don't like him. I just thought it's better, to be honest," I mumbled. 

"Well, I appreciate your honesty. Friends?" he asked. 

I nodded, "Friends." 

I pulled my shoes on and rushed downstairs. Zach had to come back to the apartment with me, just so I had a ride to the game and I didn't want him to be late because of me so I rushed everything. We had to come back to get ready for the party anyway, I can pull myself together then. I got in the car with him and he drove off immediately. 

"Good luck," I sighed. 

"Thanks," he winked. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

We won the game with five to two and everyone here was buzzing. It was like there was static in people like you would touch someone and get zapped. All of us rushed down the bleachers as soon as the game was over and ran straight to Brett and Zach. 

"Congratulations!" I hugged Brett tightly. He laughed and I pulled away before I got crushed and turned to Zach. "You won," I arched an eyebrow at him.