Flood Gates

As Annabelle looked up at him she realised quickly that he suddenly looked exhausted. There wasn't a speckle of anger or mistrust in his face and it took her completely by surprise. Is this the man that Mary had referred to?

Having only known him a few days this was the first time she saw a human being. As soon as it registered with her, his face had changed again and he was back to being cold. Protective and guarded.

"Do you need my help?" She asked hoping that he wouldn't make her just sit there all night.

Tommy sighed as he pushed his hands through his short hair and trying to gather some patience. As they stared at each other it was clearly obvious both of them where uncomfortable. Tommy hadn't had company in months and he wasn't sure why he was making her stay with him.

"I just need you to sit there" he said as he picked up a pen and started signing contracts, his eyes barely registering the words on the page.

Annabelle furrowed her brow in confusion as to why he would need her to sit there, doing nothing. Standing up she dusted down her skirt and made her way over to his drinks caddy, poured him a drink and placed it in front of his desk.

"It would be easier if I kept busy sir" she mumbled as she looked around for something to do.

Tommy eyed her and nodded before pointing over towards a large set of draws "The files in there need organising"

Annabelle nodded and made her way over, glad that she could keep busy and not have to feel the suffocating effects of the atmosphere. As soon as she opened the draws she realised gratefully that there was some work to do.

Quickly taking the files she bought them over to the sofa and she began looking through them. Just as she parted a large stack of files a picture fell onto her lap.

It was of Mr Shelby and Grace smiling towards the camera in what looked to be a pub. As soon as the picture was in her fingers tips it was roughly pulled out of her hand. Annabelle hadn't even heard him cross the room and it made her gasp.

"Give me that" he spat as he pulled it into his hand and tearing it into two, the sound loud in between them. Annabelle felt her heart flutter painfully as she realised that the picture had been hidden for a reason.

"You shouldn't do that!" She cried as she stood up "You should keep your memories"

Mr Shelby glared at her as he threw the torn picture to the ground and stormed back to his desk.

"Some memories need to stay forgotten Miss Thorn" he hissed as he downed the glass of whiskey she had poured him.

"I don't understand" she breathed realising she was over stepping.

"No you don't" he snapped.

"You must of cared for her if this is your reaction"

Whirling around he stormed his way over to her, saturated with fury as he stared her down. Nobody had dared speak to him this way since Grace and he hated it, hated how it made him feel.

"Don't say another word or I'll cut your tongue out"

Annabelle eyes widened as she stepped back, her body trying to put distance between the two as his threat lingered in the air.

"Sorry" she whispered as the back of her knees hit the sofa.

"You women usually are" he scoffed "You're all liars"

Annabelle could feel that the frustration he was venting now wasn't aimed at her but she was the only person he could take it out on. Starting to feel like a punching bag she wondered if this is the point where his other maids left.